no boost?

morepowr

Hey u guys have a great site!Good job!! I just bought a 1981 turbo reagal.I installed an Auto Meter air fuel and boost gauge.I'm still getting a no Boost reading on my gauge.all new lines,no leaks,car runs great.No blue smoke,oil residue or blow by at all.Plugs are clean.What else can I do to find out if I'm getting boost without taking the turbo out to check it by hand?:mad: :confused:

gauge doesnt move at all? at idle are you getting vaccum?
where did you hook it up at?the gauge that is?

Congrats on the '81. :) Seems to be an uncommon year.

It might be where you tapped into the vacuum. You need to be downsteam of the turbo, not at the carb. If you know where the boost light pressure switch is, try Ting into there. (Or at the MAP sensor.)

I found the A/F gauge to not be too helpful. A cheap OTC montior scan tool off ebay is a great investment.

PS - you can see the turbine impellar easily. Just unbolt the downpipe and push it aside

I don`t know if this will help. 81 was the only year that had a normally open turbo wastegate instead of normally closed like the other years...The little arm that controls the wastegate puck works just backward.....Maybe the two vacuum lines that go to the controller need to be reversed.....Im not sure but I think RICK GEORGE would know. His knowledge has sure helped me a lot by reading through his posts over the last year..........