No downshift on exit ramp

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
Car runs fine, accelerates fine, cruises fine. But if I get off an exit ramp and slow to around 35-40, then reaccellerate, my trans kinda sticks in 3rd. I can kick it down if I mat the gas pedal, but it's violent and then goes back to normal upshifts. It also seems slow to downshift at a red light, almost bucking, but when I'm ready to go, once the light turns green, it's fine. Any ideas? And TCC works good; I get a 300rpm drop on the highway when it goes into lock-up. Just a standard 200-4R, standard filter and pan.

ttt. Please? Any specific suspicions? This weekend I will be unplugging the TCC from the outside of the trans and seeing if that makes a difference. Hopefully that will source down the problem. Just looking for any other opinions or similar experiences.

Your keywords 'violent' & 'bucking' lead me to believe that your TCC solenoid is getting sticky as well. Your test this weekend ought to provide an answer either way.

Greg, thanks! You're such a friend (nyuk, nyuk, nyuk :cool: ). Can you clean out a TCC Solenoid, or are they replacement items only? Jeez...another pan drop in my future....oh well.

John,

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off your original post as my car has a kickdown/ passing problem only regarding the low gear at say 10-30 mph w/tranny in second in OD position on shift lever. Foot to the floor and it will catch second but not tire shredding first! Tranny functions perfectly otherwise as it will engage all other passing gears at part and WOT. TCC seems to functioning WNL. Does adjustment of the TV cable enter into this??? FWIW, I did have the tranny pan off last week only to drain/change ATF and replace the filter. Swear, I didn't touch anything else! Would appreciate if someone could walk me through an adjustment procedure so I can have first gear passing on kickdown. TIA.

Evans Ward
Macon, GA
87 Turbo-T
70 GS455