You can type here any text you want

No more waste spark. Kinda.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boostingbuick

Going to be buried in this.
This is my atemp to get rid of my ground firing coil pack. I have worked with a eletriconics buddy to come of with this. I have had It running today with the rig up plug wires. No driving due to the rig up unit. I will have new wires very soon. Plus no more plug wires being crossed. I have it wired up so the coils are in order. I will be testing this at the track and my set up a dyno run to see if I gain any power.

This is not wired up to the module directly. The module will fail. Just so you don't try this yourself. Plus the LS1 coils have a module in each one and the signal needs to be converted to make them work.

Attachments

• IMG_3195.jpg
    IMG_3195.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_3196.jpg
    IMG_3196.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_3197.jpg
    IMG_3197.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 875
Subscribed!!! I'm very interested in this set up. I was going to thy to work out a coil on plug system once my motor was completed. It looks you may have it debugged by the time I'm ready to even get started. Best of luck and keep the pics and info coming. Great work! Jon Hanson

I will. And the coil packs are installed with custom high rention cables. Or zip ties for the rest of us. I hope to put some miles on it and make a base to mount to the module. But I don't want to spend money on it till it works. Then I may look into getting more.

I hope you don't mind a few questions.:biggrin: Would this be able to go to the mounting like the LSxx motors (ie valve cover) if the harness was extended? Not that it would help putting MORE stuff in the way of the pass side plug changes would help. But I like the cleanliness of the idea. Again way to go. Just when you think we've done it all to these 20 year old "clunkers":biggrin: . Thanks again Jon Hanson

Yes Jon. The convertor box still will need to be mounted on top of the module. And you will still need to be mounted on the valve covers some how. And I don't like the look of the coils on the valve covers. But if this works I will keep this in mind when I get the box to mount on the module.

Checking in for a subscription. Are you using the MSD blocks for the Type II ICM as your source?

wow i never thought i would see this. a buddy of mine has done the same setup on his TTA. he is working on the tune with good results but he doesnt care for the way the coils look like that.

I mounted mine on the valve covers.

Some pics of my prototype

Bob

Attachments

• IMGP0445a.JPG
    IMGP0445a.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 786
  • IMGP0450a.JPG
    IMGP0450a.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 774
I was waiting for you to post Bob. I knew you were working on this. And was not trying to steal your glory. I want to help in this war. And to see if I can really make something I know little about work. I love to learn.

And I am using a stock type one module and NO msd anything. Just 6 ls1 coils, one module and a prototype box. And some really ulgy wires just to see if it would run. New wires are being made right now and will be on tonight. Will post some new pics.

Man that looks sick.
I was hoping Bob would chime in as well.
Thanks for the effort you guys are putting into this.

Well I am still sorting this thing out. Seems to like the delete of the wastespark. Still waiting to go the track. So BOB, isn't this fun? Nothing is as easy as you thought. But I'm still having fun.

Mine runs pretty well.

The issue is not wastespark or not, or the spark polarity. The LS1 coils are just more powerful than the stock coilpack.

Bob

boosting,
Looks nice in the stock location.
If you need another test car LMK.:biggrin:

Mine runs pretty well.

The issue is not wastespark or not, or the spark polarity. The LS1 coils are just more powerful than the stock coilpack.

Bob

Bob,

What angle did you take with this project? Are you running a MSD box? How did you connect those to the ignition module?

Back