You can type here any text you want

No oil coming to rockers after rebuild

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

marleyskater420

still needs to learn
Just finished rebuilding the top end of the motor after pulling it out of the car to change the headgasket and put in a new trans.

There is oil coming to the turbo oil feed line, but it bubbles a bit, and there is no oil coming to the rockers. I can hear the clicking of the rockers while the engine is started. It hasn't been running longer than a minute because of worry of damaging it.

Any ideas? Front cover was replaced as well as water pump and timing chain.

thanks

Considering everything else is the same I wonder if it is the timing cover.
Remember that you retarded the cam 4* as well.

I would not try to start it unless you see oil flowing thru the pushrods. Did you try priming the oil system, if not then prime it till you see oil, if you did prime it then pack your oil pump with vasaline and prime it again, if that doesnt work then check your clearance in your oil pump system. but dont start it until there is good oil flow, unless you want to change all the bearings

Could be..

a bit late..
"but dont start it until there is good oil flow, unless you want to change all the bearings".

"It hasn't been running longer than a minute because of worry of damaging it."

Just finished rebuilding the top end of the motor after pulling it out of the car to change the headgasket and put in a new trans.

There is oil coming to the turbo oil feed line, but it bubbles a bit, and there is no oil coming to the rockers. I can hear the clicking of the rockers while the engine is started. It hasn't been running longer than a minute because of worry of damaging it.

Any ideas? Front cover was replaced as well as water pump and timing chain.

thanks

If you bought the front cover new from the auto parts stores there is a good chance that one or more of the oil passages may be blocked from casting material i've seen that as being a problem before more than once. That sux because you will have to remove the front cover to fix it,if you didn't check it before installing it. It's always better to prime the oil system with the engine on the stand prior to installation into the car especially when using new replacement parts.

...............There is oil coming to the turbo oil feed line, but it bubbles a bit, and there is no oil coming to the rockers....
thanks

If you have oil flowing at the turbo line, you have oil pressure. :)

The next step is to put a mechanical gauge on it and see how much? :confused:

Aerated oil at the turbo feed tells me it's pumping air.. Likely little measurable psi.

Aerated oil at the turbo feed tells me it's pumping air.. Likely little measurable psi.

Its got to be sucking in air from somewhere.

You said the front cover was replaced, did you tighten the cover bolts down all the way? Did you get all the bolts back into the cover? The problem has to be with the sucking side of the oiling system. I'll put money on the front cover being the problem. I would get a good used cover and do the Earl Brown mods if it was me.

oil gears were packed with vasoline, and we used an oil priming tool (dont know what it is called, but you stick it in the cam gear slot and it rotates the oil pump) and we got oil to the turbo, but not through the pushrods.

Anyone recommend a good front cover? They all seem to be around 240...which is a bit steep..

Could it be a loose pick up tube?

I had the bottom end of my motor rebuilt by a local shop. I suddenly lost my oil pressure as I was driving down the road.

Everyone was telling me to do the prime/vasoline trick. It didn't work so I pulled the pan and found the pick up tube for the sump loose. Luckily it didn't ruin anything. My engine guy was good for it. He even came to my house to inspect the bearings and they were fine!

oil gears were packed with vasoline, and we used an oil priming tool (dont know what it is called, but you stick it in the cam gear slot and it rotates the oil pump) and we got oil to the turbo, but not through the pushrods.

Anyone recommend a good front cover? They all seem to be around 240...which is a bit steep..

If you want a good used cover give us a call at gbodyparts on monday.

Some times it is just a waste of time !!!!

So, please tell me why checking the most important item for the life of the engine is "just a waste of time"? :confused:

If he had an oil pressure gauge in the car, he would know what is going on there.

Make me wonder why I even post when trying to help when a nameless troll comes up with a comment, not to help, but trying to make someone look stupid.

If you take this personal, too bad, but this is why many guys that have been doing turbo Buicks for years no longer offer their experience and advice and try to help other owners.

So if we take time out of working on the many hundreds, or thousands, of turbo Buicks over 22 or more years to make a post, and some smartass [others besides you] makes an off-the-wall comment with no real help, why should we post? :mad:

I am done here, I have 3 GN's to work on today instead your drivel. :rolleyes:

Settle down Nick !!!

So, please tell me why checking the most important item for the life of the engine is "just a waste of time"? :confused:

If he had an oil pressure gauge in the car, he would know what is going on there.

Make me wonder why I even post when trying to help when a nameless troll comes up with a comment, not to help, but trying to make someone look stupid.

If you take this personal, too bad, but this is why many guys that have been doing turbo Buicks for years no longer offer their experience and advice and try to help other owners.

So if we take time out of working on the many hundreds, or thousands, of turbo Buicks over 22 or more years to make a post, and some smartass [others besides you] makes an off-the-wall comment with no real help, why should we post? :mad:

I am done here, I have 3 GN's to work on today instead your drivel. :rolleyes:

You missed my point.

Pull the cam sensor, and finish priming the motor that way. It is probable that you may not have fully primed the system. Pull your valve covers, and get the drill and priming tool back out of the tool box. I just finished priming mine on the stand, and I will tell you that I had oil flow from the turbo line very quickly, but it takes longer to get oil through the cam bearings, through the lifter gallery, up the pushrods and out of the rockers. Before you look elsewhere, retrace your steps. If that does not pan out, then look at the timing cover and its sealing surface / gasket area. As others have said, a leak here will cause erratic pressure and volume. This is the first time that I have used a good aftermaket cover on this engine. I used a Pioneer 500231, and THIS ONE is a jewel. However, I, and plenty others, have had misery with these things as quality is very inconsistent from cover to cover. I removed an earlier one and went with a good used on a previous build after having a leak that I could not stop with an earlier version of an aftermarket unit. Thanks, Rudy.

Pull your head out of your ass and read the post again Nick.

Wow, whats your problem? Did Nick not give good information and post trying to help the guy out?

What did you contribute to this thread other than calling a modertor names?

This same oiling issue happened to a friend here in town, it sounded like a sewing machine for awhile. Pull the cam sensor out and reprime it with the breather off, rotate the motor around 1/4 turn and get oil to the pushrods. Its possible your lifters are just not pumped up.

He did that and the issue was resolved after the block was rewelded because the main cap area was cracked and went into the oil galley.

HTH

BW

Back