You can type here any text you want

No pedal? Help a brotha out!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbocliff

I Slang in my white T
Hey guys, a bud of mine has an 83 Ttype with an 87 drivetrain. It has the vacume assist master cylinder, not the powermaster. He did the rear brake upgrade with the larger shoes on both sides, as well as istalled the S10 manual brake cylinders... He had figured before he did this he needed to bleed the brakes, as there was not alot of pedal left, but now after doing this, and bleeding thw whole system, he has even less pedal left. The car stops, and will hold some boost on the line, but at cruising speeds, the brake pedal hits the floor, and barely stops the car.... It has only a filter between the intake and the master cylinder, not a check valve.

1) does a check valve need to be installed?
2) is there something else we are missing?
3) Are there problems with using the S10 manual brake cylinders without the powermaster set up?

Yes, you need the check valve.
Is there a hissing sound when you apply the brakes?
No problems running the S-10 WC with vacuum brakes.

OK, He'll put on a check valve

and he says that there IS is hissing sound... What do you think it is?

Thanks,
Cliff

whats the part #on the check valve/or where can i get 1?Went to local parts store and they look at me funny any help would be appreciated :confused:

Sounds like the booster has a leak. Could be from no check valve if he got on it.(boost going to diaphram)
Don't have a part # handyfor the check valve, but the parts guy shouldn't have a problem.

Hydroboost Vs Vacuum Vs Powermaster

83 T-TYPES came with a hydroboost from the factory. They have a higher ratio brake pedal (the pin is located higher on the pedal) Someone along the way, removed the HYDROBOOST, and converted to vacuum booster. The HYDROBOOST came with a 1.125" master. The vacuum booster set up came with a 15/16" master. Because the pedal pin is higher, the "pry bar" effect of the pedal is over leveraging the booster and the small master, causing the spongy pedal. This is also why the vacuum booster is leaking, because the rod is pushed up off center to reach the higher pedal pin, with the vacuum valve tipped out of place, or the plastic valve body is broken, also causing a vacuum leak. We have a HYDROBOOST that will fit, and offer outstanding brake performance. Check out the gallery at POWERBRAKESONLINE.COM

Good catch on the pedal Bob!! I guess that's how you got your name. :) Always so much knowledge here. Never seizes to amaze me!!!

Great bunch of guys!!!

Back