No power issue

S.Hitt

Guys,
I just bought an 84 t type that had the motor/trans/turbo rebuilt. I believe Mr Magoo put the motor back in the car. I had to make a gasket for the tbody to turbo and actually tighten there bolts. I found the vacuum diagram and noticed they played a huge guessing game. However, I still don' feel like I have the vacuum lines 100 percent. I have no check valves present. Also it seems there is no fuel vapor canister or lines for it(is that a necessity to have). It seems there may be an aftermarket fuel pump or something back there on a toggle switch. When the ignition is on, I can flip the switch and hear what sounds like a fuel pump but it makes no difference in performance when the car is running if the toggle is on or off. I verified the .48V and 4.6V for the TPS, I set the cam sensor timing to the best of my abililty. Also the car has an adjustable FPR so I am ordering a mechanical fuel gauge to install on the rail. But I have no power. Car fires up and idles great but when I go to drive, it' almost no throttle response or power like it' in an extreme limp mode. Any ideas? I' starting to get frustrated. I already got the interior back together, windows working, all lights working properly. I would just like to start driving it.

I'e done some digging into my car. I installed a fuel pressure gauge. Pressure looks good. Not sure what it is while driving but it' around 40psi at idle. Jumps up about 5 or so psi when you pull the vacuum line off the FPR. I just installed a boost gauge. Zero boost while driving. Vacuum at idle looks ok.
I figured out the mods but not sure what fuel pump is in the car. I will drop the tank one of these days.
Red top injectors
Hypertech chip in an 84 ecm (I think)
Adjustable FPR
Headers
Air filter
No cat
Fuel pump hot wire
MAF looks like an 84
Just installed new plugs
I will order the new scanmaster gauge here soon. Still trying to troubleshoot until then.

Any recommendations? I don't know if the wastegate actuator is working. It has free movement when disconnected though.

Thanks for the info. Seems the HA doesn't have the same knowledge base as the IC. I'e been checking everything I can think of but I still am not sure on the vacuum hoses. I also think I had a code for the ecm when I checked it last time which makes me think the hypertech PROM chip may be at fault. Once I figure out what fuel pump I have, I may order a turbo tweak chip.

The knowledge base is here, but you have too many unknowns thus far for anyone to point you in in any one direction over the internet. Sort out one issue at a time. Tackle your vacuum issues first so its known good. ECM issues can manifest everywhere if you suspect an issue. sort that next, TT 5.7 is a great option. Then into ignition and fuel pressure, ect. Too many variables right now for anyone to tell you an all encompassing fix. Between Vortexbuicks, diagrams and data on GNTTYPE.org and searching here, the knowledge base is at you fingertips, but you gotta read. We all started there at one point or another. Keep at it, go slow and be thorough.

Last edited:
I do appreciate it. I'm getting the scanmaster and I'm going to go ahead and get a new chip next as well.

I do appreciate it. I'm getting the scanmaster and I'm going to go ahead and get a new chip next as well.
Scanmaster isn't compatible with HA ecm. PM me a phone number if you would like to talk.

Last edited:
I'm dying right now. So... pretty sure the compressor wheel should not spin on the shaft. The wheel will spin all together until you put your fingers on the wheel and you can rotate the shaft freely. That's a new one even for me.

I'm dying right now. So... pretty sure the compressor wheel should not spin on the shaft. The wheel will spin all together until you put your fingers on the wheel and you can rotate the shaft freely. That's a new one even for me.

does it have in an out play ?? then there is a problem.

does it have in an out play ?? then there is a problem.
No actually. Supposedly the guy before me sent the turbo out to be rebuilt by a professional. Apparently professionals dont believe in torque values. The car hasn' been on the road since they'e rebuilt it. It's only the run time I've had trying to diagnose everything. I got the wheel tightened up on the shaft and it sheets good. I'll have the turbo put back on the car tonight and see what happens.

So impeller wheel is spinning free on the turbine shaft? At the very least the assembly needs to be rebalanced. Worst case is damage to the wheel and shaft.

Since the site crashed, my update got erased. The ecm was bad. Right bank injectors weren't firing, therefor not creating boost. New ecm, injectors and chip. Good to go.