No start, popping C3I fuse (Pic added)

veedubcrazy

I have finally gotten around to the restoration of my wife's 87 T. Engine disassembly went without a hitch, replacing the timing chain, water pump, head/intake/exhaust/valve cover gaskets, lapped valves with new springs and umbrella seals on intake, motor mounts and new crank sensor (as I broke the original one), etc. All seemed good upon assembly. Prior to start-up, liquids were re-introduced. Cranked the engine, got a brief start and engine died. Upon inspection, the C3I fuse popped. Replaced and kept popping. I have good fuel pressure (above 40lbs) and no spark to all pugs. I timed the cam sensor to factory specs (yes, the timing chain was replaced with #1 TDC and dots lined up). Crank sensor replaced as well. I put in a new fuse and removed the ign. module/coil 14 pin plug and fuse stays intact. Plug in the pins and fuse pops. I removed the crank and cam sensor individually to try to isolate if each sensor was the problem. With the 14 pin plug out, the fuse is good on each. As soon as I plug in the 14 pin connector to the ign module/coil, the fuse pops. The battery is good, Check engine light comes on prior to start up. I did check the resistance of the coil pack and it shows 11.5k ohms on each post. I really have come to an end of possibilities of what is causing the C3I fuse to pop. I am putting it here for some help. Thanx in advance...

I might add that when I pulled apart the ign. mod from the ign coil, it was a gooey mess. It sure looked like all the wires were in the right place though. I will post up a pic of that later...

IMG_0701_zpsmncvrwoy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Yeah, did that earlier but didn't post here that I did. Yeah, think I will stay with a stock set-up. Thanx though...