You can type here any text you want

Non Detergent Oil..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87chrisss

BLUBYU
So i went to a turbo fab shop where they build some fast car's 8 and 7 sec car's in the shop, and one sick ass Street Supra that was playing around when i got there.

I noticed a guy putting oil in his engine and it was non detergent shell oil :confused: it was a Turbo Cobra supposably over 1k hp..

On the shop shelf i only saw black Shell oil NON DETERGENT motor oil...

Anyone know something about non detergent motor oil? I search'd it on google and all i come up with is that is primarily used for compressor oil.. Anyone done any testing with Non Detergent oil Why would it be used on a high HP engine? Does it contain ZDDP?

Many times I will run-in a fresh engine build with non-detergent oil but I will ALWAYS add bottle of ZDDPlus as well. It will be drained after the break-in process, and would never use it in a street car even if ZDDP is added.

It does not contain ZDDP or other additives that are friction modifiers as well as for other crucial properties.

At the opposite end of the spectrum is diesel oil which contains LOTS of detergent and not much anti-foaming additive for high RPM operation.

People have their own opinions on the "best" oil to use, but it certainly will vary depending on the type of use, power level and other factors, but I would never consider putting non-detergent oil in any vehicle for street or track use.

Good info,

Yeah Nick, the guy had just built the motor and dropped it in makes sense.

I didn't even now you could still by non detergent oil. I would imagine all the old timers that think detergent oil is bad would have passed on by now.

ND oil is common use in pressure washer pump and some hydrostatic transmissions in lawn mowers.

I didn't even now you could still by non detergent oil. I would imagine all the old timers that think detergent oil is bad would have passed on by now.
It's darn hard to find because I need it for my compressor

ND oil went out with bias ply tires,

and blow it out yer A$$ if you think we all have "passed on"
getting close maybe, but not yet, you young whipper snapper!

I said people that think detergent oil is bad!

Shouldn't you guys be manually cleaning sludge out of your crankcases?

:p

Castrol and Accel both have a 30 weight non detergent. Sold at wally world as I read it.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Earl;
It's more fun busting your chops! lol
and i use detergent oil, so no need to clean the crankcase!

OH, thats why they invented detergent oil.......

I said people that think detergent oil is bad!

Shouldn't you guys be manually cleaning sludge out of your crankcases?

:p

I "clean" the sludge every time that I change oil! :)

On my cars, and many of my customers, we run the RJC oil pan, or modifed a stock pan with the bung outside of the pan so ALL the oil and crap will drain out.

I will then pour a little fresh oil in the engine before installing the magnetic drain plug to flush out any residual oil left in the bottom of the pan.

I guess I'm just lazy... When I do an oil change, I pop the plug with the engine hot and then let it drip for a day or two :)

Valvoline also makes a "Not Street Legal" oil that is low detergent, and has zddp in it. I ran it for a few years with no problems. I did always still add a bottle of zddp though.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back