Nothing Lasts Forever!

GSGN

Got a thing for G cars!
But its only original once.

I am the original owner of a 87 GN with just over 24K miles on the clock. The car is 99.9 bone stock and aside from the Mass Air Sensor (changed 15 years ago), battary , alternator, plug wires, plugs and air filter, NOTHING UNDER THE HOOD has ever been changed. Every sensor is original along with the coil pack and fuel pressure regulator. The car has always run strong and never skipped a beat and since I don't race it, I have never felt the need to upgrade. Recently, during a casual drives, the motor shuts down at slow speeds or while coming to a stop. If I simply shift into neutral, the car starts right back up when I engage the starter. This happens rarely and not all the time. Its more of a nuisance than anything else.

With that said, I would not appreciate the old powermaster lossing it pressure if the car stalled at highway speeds so I can't ignore the problem.

What do you techs amoung us think is the most likely cause. I have many replacements sensors and a new coil pack but I don't want to experiment with changing them out one a time.

Anyone have any thoughts or a similar experience? Thanks in advance.

Any scan tool numbers? I'd guess IAC/TPS adjustment too. Do a Spring cleaning too. :)

Just so you know the power master is electric and will work with the car running or not.

Now that you mention it, yes. I'd just get spooked if the dash lit up because of a stalled motor at highway speeds. I had to shut my GS down a while back and the steering wheel locked. I just rather that not happen. Thanks

Any scan tool numbers? I'd guess IAC/TPS adjustment too. Do a Spring cleaning too. :)

Don't own a scan tool. But with two votes for the IAC motor sound like good advice.

Do I hear a third?

Thanks to everyone who replied so far.

Any codes when it dies?

I'd suggest a scan tool and perhaps an updated Turbotweak street chip.

Does it chug/bog when slowing down, if so the TCC might be a problem.

A scanmaster is a good tuning device and will give you a lot of good data and can easily be installed and run off the cigar lighter when needed, one other wire to the ALDL port under the radio, can be done plug in there.

Possibly torque converter not comming out of lock up?

Thats also a good possibility.. you should be able to feel the motor being pulled down if this is the cause. If its the IAC, it will kind of just die.

Since it's a slow speed stall I'd agree with IAC, but it may only need cleaning and adjusting. Pull it off and give it a good scrub with solvent or brake cleaner. Re-install and adjust – time to get a ScanMaster.

Thats also a good possibility.. you should be able to feel the motor being pulled down if this is the cause. If its the IAC, it will kind of just die.

Trans is fine. Motor just kinda "dies" so I'm going with replacing the IAC.

Can someone recommend a vendor for the IAC? May pick up the scan tool also since my old new car is finally acting up.

Thanks again.

When my IAC acted up it did similar to what you say,just die.When I took it out the pintle if thats what it's called was gummed up beyond belief.Could tell by looking at it that it would'nt seal right.Follow up as stated before with a good spring cleaning,and try capping off the elbow from the valve cover to turbo bell,since I've done that haven't seen a trace of "Goop" near the Throttle Body.

I'd get the Scanmaster first. Why buy parts if you don't need to? It's cheap, nonevasive and, you'll be able to see the tune of the whole car. Let us know if we can help you with any Scanmaster #s.

Then when it's running good, get a stupid-big turbo, FMIC, alky inj, roll bar, etc.:D

Happy spooling.
Mike B.

I'd get the Scanmaster first. Why buy parts if you don't need to? It's cheap, nonevasive and, you'll be able to see the tune of the whole car. Let us know if we can help you with any Scanmaster #s.

Then when it's running good, get a stupid-big turbo, FMIC, alky inj, roll bar, etc.:D

Happy spooling.
Mike B.

Will , will and won't. Great advice from all.