Noticable Oil consumption

87GNT

Friends-

So I have a newly refreshed 109 bottom end....new rings, seals, bearings, etc...as well as top-end (GN1 heads, matching intake etc... The engine only has about 600 miles on it since refreshed. However I am noticing the following.

1. There are instances that once the engine oil has warmed up the car will puff blue smoke (on idle) usually and it smells like fuel
2. After having driven the car for 500 miles i had to put 1 quart of oil which I think is a bit much

I did notice that cylinder 6 spark plug gets fouled with oil so I am leaning towards a faulty valve stem seal but would that cause that much oil consumption?
Afterwards, I performed a compression test and all 6 cylinders came in at 150-152lbs which is perfect.

I also read an article that too high of an oil pressure may cause the oil to flood through the engine in excessive amounts. This oil will likely fall on the cylinders and get burnt up. On cold start my oil pressure is 45-50psi and settles down to 30-35 when warm idleing. During normal driving it sits around 40-45psi is that too high?

I use Valvoline VR1 50 weight. Should I use something thinner? Also,, should i perform a leak down test as well ?

Thanks

I'm no expert but don't think I have ever heard of anyone thinking 50 wt in these cars. 10w-30 is most common I think. My oil pressure is higher than yours on cold start then settles to about 20 when hot at idle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm no expert but don't think I have ever heard of anyone thinking 50 wt in these cars. 10w-30 is most common I think. My oil pressure is higher than yours on cold start then settles to about 20 when hot at idle.

Seeing typos in my response, I hate the dang spell correct on my phone.
Running = Thinking....?

Thicker oil will make it use/smoke less, you have an issue. Compression is not and indicator of oil control rings. Also besure guide seals are attached to the guide, intake is not sucking oil(pcv or gasket). 10w-30 is what I like unless the clearences are looser.

Thicker oil will make it use/smoke less, you have an issue. Compression is not and indicator of oil control rings. Also besure guide seals are attached to the guide, intake is not sucking oil(pcv or gasket). 10w-30 is what I like unless the clearences are looser.

So I checked the PCV and there's no remanence of oil being sucked. Do you recommend I change the oil to 10w30 and see how it reacts with regards to smoke/consumption? whats your opinion?

I don't see new pistons in the list. If the cylinders walls aren't perfect even new rings will not seal perfectly. What kind of honing was done to the cylinders?

I have been using 15w50 for over a decade with no problems

I have been using 15w50 for over a decade with no problems

I definitely need to stop using straight 50 weight as it may also damage my oil pump. i am going to put valvoline vr1 10w30 and see where we stand.

If you have one cylinder that's oily and the rest are fine, you have an internal problem that isn't due to your oil that's too thick.

If you're lucky, it's just an intake gasket that's sucking oil in that one port at cruise. If you're less lucky, it's time to fire up the engine hoist again.

If you have one cylinder that's oily and the rest are fine, you have an internal problem that isn't due to your oil that's too thick.

If you're lucky, it's just an intake gasket that's sucking oil in that one port at cruise. If you're less lucky, it's time to fire up the engine hoist again.

So I drained the thicker oil and put 10w30 in it yesterday. Took it for a 5 minute drive and it was smoking like a chimney. Got home took out plug #6 and its completed wet with oil.

Does this provide any useful information?

If the other 5 plugs look good, I'd pull the valve cover on the bad side and have a look at those valve stem seals first. This is assuming it has a good head gasket still and no other damage.

If the other 5 plugs look good, I'd pull the valve cover on the bad side and have a look at those valve stem seals first. This is assuming it has a good head gasket still and no other damage.

Yes so the engine was completely refreshed....top to bottom

So the block is STD and was honed prior to putting back to gether

My opinion is the original pistons are the issue?

The replacement turbo ring package for stock pistons is not available, were the rings replaced?

The bore hone may be oversize enough that the rings are not seating or sealing, especially if they are the originals?

My opinion is the original pistons are the issue?

The replacement turbo ring package for stock pistons is not available, were the rings replaced?

The bore hone may be oversize enough that the rings are not seating or sealing, especially if they are the originals?

Hello Nick! So the pistons are the stock ones and the rings were replaced....I performed a compression test on all cylinders and they were all at 150lbs. Granted this does not test the oil rings themselves off course.

So I drained the thicker oil and put 10w30 in it yesterday. Took it for a 5 minute drive and it was smoking like a chimney. Got home took out plug #6 and its completed wet with oil.

Only that it's time to pull the intake and cross your fingers hoping it's a $30 gasket.

Have you called Billy yet? I would say it's gotta come out. Look at the oil rings/expander, intake valve seal.

How do the other plugs look? If just #6 is oily then check if the intake valve stem seal is riding the stem (BTDT). If that isn't it pressurize the plenum and check if air is blowing out the breather. That is a sign of a bad intake gasket or cracked intake.

RemoveBeforeFlight