You can type here any text you want

ny emissions test failed

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bb87

help!!!!!! last year was the first year that this ever happened to me. my HC was too high. i eventually passed by leaning the engine out. i only put 1000 miles on the car since last year and the only thing i changed was i took out the kirban heated o2 sensor and put in a denso o2.
here are the numbers
test limits hc .80gpm co 15.00gpm nox 2.00gpm
my results hc 1.05gpm co 8.83gpm nox .23gpm

other things about my car

36# injectors
ramchargers 518 bust chip
rjc power plate (egr drilled out)
poston evenfire cam (gn107t)
r43ts plugs

also before the test i put a bottle of heet dry gas in the tank i was told that it can drop hc's

the limits are above the results
i did good on all but just over on the hc's

one thing i noticed the other night is that one of the injectors seemed a little wet. i cleaned it off and im going to run it. it holds pressure at 30 psi and no leaks but now that i have no emmisions i cant put it on the road to see if it leaks at higher pressures. could this make the car run rich?

Sorry, still looks a little rich. If all else is okay, then check or have the cat checked. How many miles on the cat?

i would hate to say it but the cat is over 9 years old i bought it from atr when i first got the car. wow time flies. other people told me to get a cat too. last year it failed 2 times on the last time i leaned it out and it passed. before that the car never hat a problem. i was also thinking of trying an emissions chip from turbo tweek. $20 compared to $170 for a cat.

bb87 said:
help!!!!!! last year was the first year that this ever happened to me. my HC was too high. i eventually passed by leaning the engine out. i only put 1000 miles on the car since last year and the only thing i changed was i took out the kirban heated o2 sensor and put in a denso o2.
here are the numbers
test limits hc .80gpm co 15.00gpm nox 2.00gpm
my results hc 1.05gpm co 8.83gpm nox .23gpm

other things about my car

36# injectors
ramchargers 518 bust chip
rjc power plate (egr drilled out)
poston evenfire cam (gn107t)
r43ts plugs

also before the test i put a bottle of heet dry gas in the tank i was told that it can drop hc's
A chip with too aggressive timing down low, Jacked up fuel pressure, Tired cat, worn plugs,Missfires from a bad coil pack & or wires, Fouled 02 senser, Low or uneven compression, all these items need to be correct or the result can be high HC's but even so a fresh cat can cover alot of sin's. As long as everything else is in the ball park. Good Luck!

HC is an indicator of a misfire,either spark related or lean fuel misfire. Question,ever wonder what makes a car with a cam rump at idle? The overlap is basically a controlled vacuum leak. Yes I know turbo cams have less overlap but there is still more than stock. Overlap also has an EGR effect up to a point. Remember the old Quad4? No EGR valve. GM used overlap to control NOx. New Hondas use VTEC to control overlap and the amount of NOx reduction. Sorry got off subject. The cat has to control all three gasses,hence the term three way cat. Your numbers are all good except for one. My guess is it's the cam causing your problem.

i have eric from turbotweek burning me an emmissions chip right now. it was only $20. worth a try. my next step is to get a new catalytic converter. i have been running that cam for about 4 years and never had a problem. although it makes sence i guess my cat was newer back then.

Where are you located in NY I might be able to save you all that nonsense of getting an emissions chip

im in copiague ny long island
i got the chip from eric and it brought my hc's from 1.05 to .77
the test limits are .80.
I passed i dont have to worry for another year

Back