October Gathering Ideas?

I might could help on sunday. what is pat's address?
Conrad

hey guys and gals

I got the engine out last night about 9:00 . then i took some time to take the intake and drivers side head off to find the dirver's side head gasket blowed all the hell. it blew the center cylinder gasket and fire ring from head bolt to head bolt.

So now it's just a pick of the pieces and clean and more cleaning and put he engine back in.

so if anybody has any spare parts let me know i need a good pair of head gaskets that are slightly used unblowed ;)

Hey Hulio,
You were mentioning coated bearings but if you do not have a way of measuring bearing clearences do not attempt. Coated bearing clearances vary depending on who does them. Also check those journals for fretting. Let me know how things go.

M.Banas

Hey Hulio,
You were mentioning coated bearings but if you do not have a way of measuring bearing clearences do not attempt. Coated bearing clearances vary depending on who does them. Also check those journals for fretting. Let me know how things go.

M.Banas

see that is where you and the god father earl come in at :)

Pat, I thought using Platinum or Iridium plugs in our turbo cars was a no-no due to our high temperatures generated & they melt-down prematurely. How long did you have your grenade ignitors in there? :confused:

Pat, I thought using Platinum or Iridium plugs in our turbo cars was a no-no due to our high temperatures generated & they melt-down prematurely. How long did you have your grenade ignitors in there? :confused:

6 months. the denso iridium's have i seen used in many turbo cars with not ill effects on the eingine or plug life. i guess i just got a bad set or something. the set that i had in the motor before these lasted over a yr. i changed them when my stock coil pack failed. so everything would be new.

motor is out on a stand waiting for a clean-up and some CHROME :)

Pat,
Did you find some head gaskets? Could you use some help tomorrow afternoon?
Conrad

Pat,
Did you find some head gaskets? Could you use some help tomorrow afternoon?
Conrad

I ordered all my gaskets friday and i just got back from advance auto in picking them up along with more cleaning solvent for my parts washer along with some high temp RTV.

So i'm going to pull the oil pan and have a look at the bearings and go from there. I'm still thinking about installing a new cam to give it a tad bit more on the mid and top end. the stock cam works well with the kenne bell 1.65 roller rockers.

then it will be clean clean and more cleaning. gonna push the beast out saide and degrese and pressure wash the entire engine bay then repaint everything.

well it was popping real bad on friday nite with the boost set @ 21-22 psi. I keep thinkin it was something in the tune . since it would run good @ 14 psi. So i got sat morning and started checking it out and it turned out the plugs (denso iridium's ur5's) that i put in feb were killed. I also noticed that it was leaking some oil on the trailer too that was not there when i loaded the car up friday nite. i thought it looked to be coming from the drivers side valve cover and just checked the bolts and snuged them up.

well i made 5 clean passes sun and every thing was good till the 6 pass and around 4k in second gear it blew the drivers side HG from what i can tell. The center cylinder when running and unplugging the spark plug wire makes no changes. It didn't show any spark knock on any of the passes that day till the 6th pass and it went crazy. the spark knock started @ 23 psi of boost. so i don't know if the knock occured and caused the HG to blow or the knock was ocurring due tot he HG bleing blown in the lifter valley of a busted piston etc. i put in 6 gallons of 114 octane gas and the car had maybe 3 gallons of 93 in it. thats all i can tell ya at this time.

I have about another 1.5 hrs worths of work to get the motor out and tear it down to see what actually broke. if it's a piston i'm just gonna have to let it sit until i can do a good build up on it.

BTW I have some good datalogs if anybody cares to look at them :)

here is the carnaged gasket!

holy crap! guess you'll think twice about trying to play with those neons next time?? (couldn't help myself on that one........)