You can type here any text you want

Oil cooler question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JIm Duda

I just got my car back from the tuner. Since I had 2 oil related problems he started to look at why that was occurring with this car. He stated that he isn't a fan of this engine but they aren't known to have the problems that I had with mine. The first thing he finds when looking under the hood was that there was an after market trans cooler (hooked up correct) and an oil cooler hooked up to the filter. He followed the lines and noticed that they were connected to the trans cooler in the radiator. He said that since these cars didn't come with an oil cooler and I have had 2 oil related problems with the engine, he recommends removing the lines and getting rid of the "oil cooler". I had him do this and he was able to tune it. My question is this, how common is this? Has anyone else done this and have you had problems? I don't question the tuner and am glad that he was the one I went with because the car rocked like it never has before.

Stay away from most tuners and anyone that works at AutoZone advance auto etc most of them just talk out of there ass. Everyone I go to buy some oil or trans fluid I hear one of the people at AutoZone say ''is that one of the twin turbo v8 ones or just the 350 one'' Obviously your tuners on the same level.

And it doesn't hurt to run without the cooler. It is a subject of much debate.

Stay away from most tuners and anyone that works at AutoZone advance auto etc most of them just talk out of there ass. Everyone I go to buy some oil or trans fluid I hear one of the people at AutoZone say ''is that one of the twin turbo v8 ones or just the 350 one'' Obviously your tuners on the same level.
Actually a few of our members work for chain auto parts companies, but you need to know who they are.;) The issue with most of the chains is that they're told to sell specific parts and junk to increase profits.:mad: They're mentality is that their computer system knows more than a good parts person, which is total BS.:D

I have no doubt that there are some knowledgeable guys working at those chain stores. The one I go to did have a really smart guy working there he mainly messed with lsx motors and a lot of rx7 Mazda s he was away checking out the Buick and knew a lot about them, comparatively speaking, but I wouldn't trust most of them to change my battery.

The problem wasn't the tuner. The car is tuned and running better than before. He owns his own business and has been tuning cars for a long time including hundreds of GN's. He looked at the problem of my engine spinning a bearing then a rod knock and began to look at the oil issue. After noticing that the oil cooler was running through the transmission cooler in the radiator, that he feels since that isn't the way it is supposed to run then to change it and see if it is better. There were other issues with the car and he has fixed them. I was just curious if anyone else has run the oil cooler that way and if they had any problems. I would suggest this guy to anyone that is looking for a good tuner.

post a pic of where the oil lines were connected to the trans cooler in the radiator

The problem wasn't the tuner. The car is tuned and running better than before. He owns his own business and has been tuning cars for a long time including hundreds of GN's. He looked at the problem of my engine spinning a bearing then a rod knock and began to look at the oil issue. After noticing that the oil cooler was running through the transmission cooler in the radiator, that he feels since that isn't the way it is supposed to run then to change it and see if it is better. There were other issues with the car and he has fixed them. I was just curious if anyone else has run the oil cooler that way and if they had any problems. I would suggest this guy to anyone that is looking for a good tuner.

You are not making any sense with your info?

My first comment is if this tuner "has been tuning cars for a long time including hundreds of GN's", he would be well known in the Buick community? So who is he?

Anyone can make a GN "rock like it never has" by just turning up the boost. What magic did he perform?

The oil cooler does NOT run through the trans cooler in the GN radiator, but there are 2 separate coolers in the radiator.

I do not want to down the tuner at this point as this info may have been twisted in the translation, but none of this processes very well when looked at closely? :confused:

Anyway, my last comment, if anyone tells me "I am not a fan of this engine" or anything else I own, I would not walk away, I would run. :)

Anyway, my last comment, if anyone tells me "I am not a fan of this engine" or anything else I own, I would not walk away, I would run. :)

x2!

Those oil lines going to the side of the radiator are factory. As mentioned, it's debated if they are needed or not. I have mine removed, fwiw. Either way, get a new guy.

And it doesn't hurt to run without the cooler. It is a subject of much debate.

It may not hurt to not use the oil cooler, but it certainly would help. :)

Last night was rather warm, but it was also the first race of our new season. I was not pushing my car hard at 135 MPH, and on the return road my oil temp was 225-235 degrees and the coolant temp was about 200 deg. By the time I returned to my trailer, coolant temp was down to 160 deg.

The point here is my oil temp would have also been much lower with a radiator oil cooler.

The higher oil temp will shorten its life, as well as that of the oil additives. In my case the higher oil temp is not the issue, as a larger concern is oil contamination, and needs to changed oil every 20 passes or so.

On my street cars, I do use the factory oil cooler as they felt this added cooling for the oil was needed, or else they would not have gone to the extra expense!

Also remember the oil passing through the turbo also adds heat to the oil.

One piece of info I remember from my engineering days is the 30% of engine heat is removed by the oil, most of the remaining heat is transferred to the water. So make your own choice to keep the cooler or not. ;)

Thank you Nick. This is a street car used for fun and not for racing. The question was running the oil through the radiator and any problems that can occur because of it. His comment was that with the oil running through the radiator and the temp was running hot then it wasn't cooling the oil. I am going to assume you have a separate oil cooler with your set up. The reason for my initial question was that for the past 11 years I have been fixing things that were wrong with my car. As one of the other guys said, there is a lot more to this story. But the story isn't the tuner, he's one who has been upfront honest with me. I used to drive the car and would cringe when I heard something but I am now driving with confidence. And having more fun!

There is alot of information left out of this story that is not helping anyone. Currently are both coolers in the radiator being used? What temp is "running hot" and when is it "running hot"? If oil line is disconnected does the engine still run hot? Is the cooling system functioning correctly? What thermostat is in there. You had a spun bearing. If there are other issues left over from that the engine could be running hot regardless if the oil cooler is installed or not. Are you using the stock ecm, if so what chip? The right chip burned for your combo should be pretty damn close and run "strong". What is the combo? What was done previously that? You've owned the car for 11 years and have been fixing "wrong" things. Who's doing the fixing? After 11 years glad you found TB. Seems you need to learn more about your car and this is the place.

Pronto, the temp runs was running over 200. Part of the problem was that the fan was only on low with the high setting set to come on at 250 (that has been fixed). The engine is now running between 180-200. I don't know about the thermostat. The ecm is a Gen 6 that was put in around 98 (I bought car in 01). As for fixing things, it started the day after I bought the car with rebuilding the engine because of the bearing, replacing hoses that were cracked and cut, transmission (only had drive and overdrive) and other minor things that add up. I can't say that the person/business that I bought the car from was the most ethical but there are warnings out there telling people to beware. This question was just another in a long list that I was using for justification for myself for not liking this guy. As for the car, I still have other things that I need to change out or replace. One being the transmission again. I have posted on the problem with shifting and will seeing Jimmy's Transmission next year when I am able to save up enough money. The other is the speedo which hasn't worked correct since day 1. This has been my favorite car and when I saw it, I bought it. Pure emotional buy. Wife wasn't happy and still isn't. It is getting the way I wanted it to but is taking time.

GN's all came with oil coolers.....I agree,loose that tuner,but if your happy, your happy...
It depends on your climate a lot..(in the south or north) but..
If you drag race only or only use the car limited amounts at a time (less then 50miles a trip) you can loose the oil cooler. You get the benefit of more oil pressure due to the fact the oil has less of a path to travel.
But,If you drive on the Hwy a lot an put a lot miles on your GN an your turbo's oil cooled.You need the cooler to help viscosity levels due to all the heat.Why GN's came with them in the first place,
Like your motor's blood thin or thicker at the end of a run/trip,all a choice
I've run both with an with-out,My oil pressure gauge sure like's it With after trip to the beach!!!
(i run RJC's cooler now with there biggie filter kit.works perfectly)
Enjoy!

Jim, you seem to have bought yourself a problem child. I'm surprised you have stuck with it for so long. If you have to pay someone to do the work it needs then it's time to find someone else. I would start asking around here where to go. There must be someone else near enough to you or even a board member to help. Can't say I'm a fan of DFI Gen6. I have a friend that is right in middle of changing his out and going back to stock.

Back