Oil Cooler ?

did u pull off the whole adapter?
thats what i did when i went with a f-body radiator. only one internal cooler and i use it for the tranny. i temporarily ran a high pressure hose on the adapter inlet and outlet because i thought about adding an external engine oil cooler but changed my mind and just removed the adapter.

For those that no longer run the oil cooler, do you have rollerized setups or flat tappets? Do you have any other provisions to reduce heat? notice any increase in temps? The reason I ask is I just installed a roller cam and the lack of internal cooler was keeping me from switching to the f-body rad.

For those that no longer run the oil cooler, do you have rollerized setups or flat tappets? Do you have any other provisions to reduce heat? notice any increase in temps? The reason I ask is I just installed a roller cam and the lack of internal cooler was keeping me from switching to the f-body rad.

Only needed if its in city traffic everyday & really hot. Most are not daily drivers so no need. If wanted just run a good external cooler & not the cheezy factory one.

It's going to be primarially a street car, but no DD. Summers almost never go beyond the mid 90's. I may get into a traffic jam or two, though. thoughts?

i dont have an oil temp gauge but i didnt notice any changes to engine operating temp by removing it. mine is not a daily driver but it does get driven on hot days and does get raced. no issues. engine has all stock 166k mile internals still.

My experience

I am a firm believer in an engine oil cooler--Buick put them on for a reason--that reason being that the 1/4 in. line feeding the turbo with oil is returning VERY HOT oil to the pan. We've had this debate many times and it is always the same --some say not, I say yes. I believe that the ones saying not needed don't have an oil temp. gage. From experience " as the oil temp goes up, oil pressure goes down" How many time have I heard someone say my temp is so and so. It takes much longer for oil temp to rise as compared to water temp ( thermostat controled). Race car only, I can see where you could elminate it.

You can eliminate it, just swap out those inexpensive turbos every now and then. :D

It's going to be primarially a street car, but no DD. Summers almost never go beyond the mid 90's. I may get into a traffic jam or two, though. thoughts?

Do you Race in Heavy Traffic or do you race at the track with cool down periods?
Thats why I say no for myself.
My TA-49 lasted 10 years with 200 runs & 3 owners so it did good. I do use a small inline filter to turbo now but never did for all those years.

Since I changed out to a F-Body radiator I also got rid of the oil cooler, Never seen a temp difference, Never seen a additional drop in my oil pressure due to heat, Never see temps above 180-185* in 99 degree heat! In stop and go traffic during rod runs the temp goes even lower into the 175* range with my dual fans on this car stays cool!

We may add a cooler before our first road race...

SW.

I don't know why anyone would want to intentionally eliminate something that is designed to prolong the life of your turbo and engine. An oil cooler isn't a bad thing and it's not like you gain power by eliminating it.
The oil cooler also does a nice job of bringing oil up to temperature in cold environments since the radiator warms up quicker than the engine. Just my $.02.

Peter

i only ask because mine must have a small crack in it, wont stop leaking,so i will take the cooler off for now.thanks

If you haven't monitored oil temps you would think you didn't need it too. Temps skyrocket and never return unless you shut it off.

Bottom line, use it. Buick engineers are smarter then all of you pseudo engineers.

Jason

Maybe in stock form with a 195 thermostat and fans that don't come on til 210, so you would constantly be running between 200-220. Sorry don't think its a must if your running a 160 thermostat and twin fans comming on at 170.

I run both the radiator cooler & a remote cooler. Gets too hot here in FL to elimate any cooler.