You can type here any text you want

Oil drip

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87TIGN

Death by boost
So I got my motor in the car and all is good except one minor thing. Runs awesome and is turning out to be a pretty scary car at various points in the throttle. One problem tho. I have a leak from the back of my oil pan between the pan and the girdle where the gasket is. I took it to my machine shop that assembled the motor and they found the leak. So before they tightened the pan bolts a little they cleaned the oil off and let the car run at idle for a bit and no leaks. Put it in drive with the break on and brought the rpms and boost up and as soon as they got a couple lbs of boost it began to seep. So they tightened it and did the same procedure and no leaks. Well than they took it for a drive and boosted it to see what would happen after a couple of mins of driving and after it was back on the lift it began to drip very slowly and much less than before. So the verdict is that under boost my crankcase builds pressure enough to push oil out of the back of the pan. Any remedies to cure this crankcase pressure? I have a regular breather on the valve cover and a brand new PCV valve. I think for some reason I have seen kits to fix this crankcase pressure but but cannot remember. Anyone have an ideas? Oh and please remember I am broke after my tranny and motor rebuild!! Thanks
-Andrew

the piston rings might not be seated and causing blowby for a few hundred miles. my friends gn would blow oil smoke out the tailpipe under boost then 200 miles later it quit smoking. i used total seal rinngs and had no problems.

the piston rings might not be seated and causing blowby for a few hundred miles. my friends gn would blow oil smoke out the tailpipe under boost then 200 miles later it quit smoking. i used total seal rinngs and had no problems.

Yeah I thought that could be a possible problem but I have about 550 miles on the motor so I figured it would be sealed by now, however I have seen stranger things. I am gonna try what gnxtc2 suggested and see how that goes. Im gonna hope for the best because I am assuming those pump systems are pretty pricey. Anyone have a link to a good one I can check out and save for future reference? Thanks
-Andrew

have you done a leak down test on it yet to see if the rings are sealed?
how hard would it be to drop the pan and put a better gasket in there?

He has a girdle so no easy task dropping the pan... I wouldn't even want to try in mone with the motor in the car...it was hard enough getting the pan off on an engine stand...that "Right Stuff" is hard to break loose...unless it's a really bad leak I'd just live with it...JMO...mine seeps after racing too...been doing it for years...you will drive yourself nuts and spend a lot of money trying to fix all the oil leaks...forget it...these motors leak oil...

and what would be considered a bad leak down number on a 500 mile rebuilt motor:confused:

Back