You can type here any text you want

oil from breathers

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jcawley3

Im getting some oil on top of the valve covers.... its coming from the breathers..... is this normal, acceptable? how much is too much? thanks -john

Since you have modified your car for more performance and boost, the PCV which vents the crankcase is overwhelmed, and cannot handle the great increase in cylinder blow-by pressure.

The stock configuration with a vent pipe connected to the turbo inlet was the factory method to help with crankcase evacuation, but I am sure it was removed long ago.

You can install breathers, baffles and catch cans to trap as much of the oil vapors, but that is just a band aid. As you move on to more boost and HP to bring you into the 10's, it only gets worse. :eek:

The ultimate solution starting at that level, is to have a pump to evacuate the crankcase vapors [pressure] and vent them properly.

This can be done with an electric or belt driven pump. When you reach a power level into the 9's, a proper evac system will also add a little HP. :cool:

You can install breathers, baffles and catch cans to trap as much of the oil vapors, but that is just a band aid. As you move on to more boost and HP to bring you into the 10's, it only gets worse. :eek:

The ultimate solution starting at that level, is to have a pump to evacuate the crankcase vapors [pressure] and vent them properly.

This can be done with an electric or belt driven pump. When you reach a power level into the 9's, a proper evac system will also add a little HP. :cool:

I ditched the baffles and made standoffs that are vertical. Also I vented the fuel pump block plate. Seems to help a lot.

Here is what worked best for me before I went with a pump.:)

These stand-off pieces actually fit into the grommet on aftermarket VC's, and are about 3" high. They contain baffles inside as well as material to trap the oil vapor.

I purchased them from a GM dealer as they were listed in the Chevy Performance catalog.

A K&N type breather will fit into the top part.

Attachments

• Baffle.jpg
    Baffle.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 264
Here is what worked best for me before I went with a pump.:)

These stand-off pieces actually fit into the grommet on aftermarket VC's, and are about 3" high. They contain baffles inside as well as material to trap the oil vapor.

I purchased them from a GM dealer as they were listed in the Chevy Performance catalog.

A K&N type breather will fit into the top part.

Well I happy with the hp of the car.. do not plan to go any faster with this motor..... maybe later but thats a whole other dream....

I have the breather RJC sales on both VC's they are the black TA VC's .......Is this the best its going to be? or would what you have in the picture work out better?

Is this something that is hurting the car?

Back