Oil is $66 a barrell but gas prices are creeping up?

Little6pack

I have noticed the gas prices have gone up 10 cents for most stations in my area.

Wonder if this is the effect the president Elect has on gas prices.

I bought gas in Thomasville, NC yesterday (11-5-08) at 6:00 pm for 2.08. Two hours later it was 2.05. After my purchase I saw it for 2.04 at another place down the street.

Same..

I bought gas in Thomasville, NC yesterday (11-5-08) at 6:00 pm for 2.08. Two hours later it was 2.05. After my purchase I saw it for 2.04 at another place down the street.

here, yesterday. I filled up at $2.05. 2 hrs later, it was .04.
Some places in Atl it's less than $2.00.

Still in the $2.20's down here. Was in Arkansas and I saw $1.95, never thought I'd see $1 gas in my life again.

wow you guys are lucky, its still 2.50-60 range here in NY :( . I remember when i used to fill my tank for $40

$1.95 -
$2.05 here is Kansas! Was so excited to see a "1" in front:biggrin:

What used to take $95.00 to fill is about $50.00 just hope it lasts:eek:

$2.68 a gal. for crappy 91 octane unleaded at the cheapest Arco that I know of in the Orange County area.

$2.13 in flint michigan about a week ago, i was just drivin through.

heres a pretty cool little webpage for gas prices country wide and oil price as well:

Gas Prices - NBC 15 Online

if only the price of engine oil would go down now:eek:

$1.95 here in Central IL as of yesterday...

BTW...barrel prices down....Exxon/Mobil is watching their last quarter's profits go down, they can't have that. Each quarter MUST have growth and they will screw whoever it takes to continue!

The "fleecing" will continue, YOU COUNT ON IT! Your money may be temp. diverted from the pump but now that O. Hussian has been elected, as well as both a majority Dem. House and Senate, THE REAL SCREWING WILL BEGIN, YOU CAN COUNT ON THAT EVEN MORE!!!! :mad:

AMERICA HAS NOT WITNESSED REAL TROUBLE TILL NOW... :(

Don't forget to consider the extra taxation the "blue states" love to impose on gas. :mad:

Gonna vary a lot state to state due to that "little" factor. :eek: :(

It was $1.93 the day before the election, then the day after it went up to $2.01. Someone told me the price came down due to the elction, not sure if it's true or not.

Economics 101: The Price of Gas

Gas prices are up and oil executives are once again testifying before Congress. Clearly, many politicians, pundits, and consumers lament the rising cost of gas. Before we join them in their chorus, let us take a step back and ask this question: Are gas prices really all that high?

A change in price can be a result of inflation, taxes, changes in supply and demand, or any combination of the three.

First, we need to take into account inflation. The result of the Federal Reserve printing too much money is a loss of purchasing power of the dollar: something that cost $1.00 in 1950 would cost about $8.78 today. As for gas prices, in 1950 the price of gas was approximately 30 cents per gallon. Adjusted for inflation, a gallon of gas today should cost right at $2.64, assuming taxes are the same.

But taxes have not stayed the same. The tax per gallon of gas in 1950 was roughly 1.5% of the price. Today, federal, state, and local taxes account for approximately 20% of gas's posted price. Taking inflation and the increase in taxes into account (assuming no change in supply or demand) the same gallon of gas that cost 30 cents in 1950 should today cost about $3.13.

Neither have supply or demand remained constant. The world economy is growing. China and India are obvious examples. At the same time, Americans continue to love driving SUVs and trucks. As for supply, we are prohibited (whatever the reasons may be) from using many of the known oil reserves in our own country. Furthermore, due to government regulation, the last oil refinery built in the United States was completed in 1976. In addition, the Middle East is politically unstable which leads to a risk premium on the world's major source of oil. It is obvious that the demand for oil has grown while supplies have been restricted.

The average price of gas in the United States today is approximately $3.25. The question is, why are gas prices not higher than they are?

Blaming greedy oil companies on the rising price of gas is simply irresponsible. The profit margins of a few selected industries are as follows:

Periodical Publishing 24.9%
Shipping 18.8%
Application Software 22.5%
Tobacco 19%
Water Utilities 10.2%
Major Integrated Oil and Gas 9.5%
Hospitals 1.4%
Drugstores 2.8%

The water utility industry has higher profit margins than major oil and gas firms! Why isn't every CEO with profit margins above that of the oil companies made to testify before Congress for "price gouging"? Clearly, greedy corporate profits are not the issue.

Again, while just over nine percent of the price of a gallon of gas goes to oil company profits, approximately twenty percent of the price of a gallon of gas is composed of federal, state, and local taxes.

Those who want the government to step in and do something about the high price of gas are either forgetful of recent history or too young to remember the oil crisis of 1979. During that time, restrictions on the price of gasoline led to the inability of some to find gas at all. Price ceilings always lead to shortages. The only thing worse than having to pay "too much" for gas is not being able to find gas at any price.

Let us not be swayed by politicians out for power or by reporters out to create news where none exists. Facts and economic logic should prevail rather than rhetoric.

P.S.-It's amazing to me that despite the cost of doing business, along with the regulations that get more strict every year, and the fact that the government takes more than double what the oil companies take as profit; that the oil companies manage to make the kind of profits they do and still provide a quality product at a reasonable price. Why isn't anyone questioning the government about the 20 cents of every dollar that it takes?