You can type here any text you want

Oil leak from valve cover - help!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

moparkid

I noticed I had an oil leak coming from the passenger side valve cover on my GN. I pulled the cover off, noticed a cork gasket, so I removed it. I cleaned up the mating surface and replaced the gasket with a Fel-Pro rubber one. I put everything back together, tightened all the bolts, cleaned up the residue and went about driving the car.

I noticed again that it is still leaking from the same spot. Is it possible that my valve cover itself is tweaked and won't allow the gasket to seal? I inspected the valve cover for cracks when I had it off but didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

Idea's? Leads? Any help is greatly appreciated - I hate parking on cardboard.

Check that the outer lip on the valve cover isn't hitting the flange on the header. On some aftermarket headers the flange is larger and doesn't allow the valve cover to be fully seated against the gasket.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Stock valve covers or aftermarket?

most likely its just a gasket bad andbad instal it seems like you did not replace the headers when you noticed the leak nor did you replace the valve covers but simply the gasket. i stick with cork and put a small bead of silly cone inside the valve cover and also work the gaskets into all the groves so it seats proberly then stick it on the motor tighten to 8-14#s and away you go.

When I bought my GN1 VC's I did not like the rough machined gasket surface. I took them to a local machine shop and had them mill the surface flat. Using Felpro cork gaskets and zero leaks.:)

Check that the outer lip on the valve cover isn't hitting the flange on the header. On some aftermarket headers the flange is larger and doesn't allow the valve cover to be fully seated against the gasket.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Never even considered that, I'll have to see if that is the cause of mine with ATR headers.

I checked today and the valve cover is far from hitting the header. Again I checked to make sure the mounting bolts for the cover are tight, which they are.

Yes, they are the stock valve covers.

When I bought my GN1 VC's I did not like the rough machined gasket surface. I took them to a local machine shop and had them mill the surface flat. Using Felpro cork gaskets and zero leaks.:)

I'm still considering that the v/c itself is tweaked, but its aluminum and I find it hard to believe. I've never been a fan of cork gaskets and have always had good luck with the rubberized cork like I installed on my GN. The oil leak is really becoming a pain in the ass!

most likely its just a gasket bad andbad instal it seems like you did not replace the headers when you noticed the leak nor did you replace the valve covers but simply the gasket. i stick with cork and put a small bead of silly cone inside the valve cover and also work the gaskets into all the groves so it seats proberly then stick it on the motor tighten to 8-14#s and away you go.

I did the exact same thing during the install. Though sealer isn't needed for a rubber gasket, it wouldn't hurt anything to use some for "insurance". As for the repair, the lower, rear v/c bolt is a bitch to get to, but I have 1/4" swivels and extensions that I used to get the bolt tight :smile:

Valve cover could easily be distorted. If this is the case the bolt is probably bottoming out in the head before actually tightening the cover. Try installing a washer or two on the bolt and re-tighten to see if this helps.

Bryan

If you over tighten the valve cover bolts it may also cause the rubber to distort. Just a thought

D

distorted valve cover sealing surfaces

Just as easy and cheaper to use a belt sander at the machine shop. Easy to do and will make sure it's flat and no distortions.

A few days ago, I pulled the lower lh bolt out, put a couple washers on it, and reinstalled it. No change in the oil leak. Tonight I finally got some more time to work on my GN. I pulled the v/c off and inspected it. I laid it on a flat surface and the cover doesn't seem to be distorted in any way. I inspected the gasket and it didn't look worn at all. I next looked at the mating surface on the cyl head. Its a bit rough... I took a wire brush to it to make sure the mating surface was clean. While looking at it, I could see where a rubber gasket would not seal well against the heads. I cleaned up the v/c, and reinstalled everything. I also used an OE cork gasket with RTV between the cover and the gasket. One thing I did notice about the OE gasket is that it was cut to fit the v/c. The Fel-Pro rubber ones didn't have a correct way of installing them... I put everything back together and drive it home from the shop. I guess I'll drive it some more this weekend and see how it goes.

I have the same problem. Did you get the problem fixed?

I was chasing the same problem for a while. I guess I am a bit heavy handed when it comes to wrenching stuff down. Tried rubber ones, everyone told me to use cork, but they would still leak on me. I even tried making my own out of "The right stuff", but still had leaks.

I eventually tried the FelPro permatex ones with the metal inserts to prevent overtightening and the leaks stopped. A bit pricey at over $30 a set but it fixed my problems. I have even removed and reinstalled a couple times, still no leaks. Now that I have bragged them up, Im sure they will start leaking now.:)

Did you use any "right stuff" on the felpro permatex gaskets.

the felpros go on dry.....i never had any luck with them..wouldnt fit without removing the metal tabs on the inside.....mine are hanging up on my garage wall

Back