You can type here any text you want

Oil Leak help (Update problem found)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DarthBuick

I Win even in your dreams.
I have a pretty bad oil leak. At first I thought it was the pan and replaced the pan gasket with a Cometic. It was still leaking and I found it to be leaking down the front. The oil is tracking down the front by the lower crank sensor bolt. oil leak2.jpg It is a pretty bad leak when running. Could it be the valve cover running down. front seal is dry and fuel pump block off plate seems dry.

Could be the valve cover gasket leaking like you said. Or the front cover gasket or 1 of the mounting bolts for an oil passage in the cover, heck could even be the turbo drain tube gasket leaking and running over towards the drivers side then running down or the intake gasket.

Check where the intake meets up with the block. I'd bet you blew the gasket out there.

I will check the intake. It leaks a steady drip while idling I can clean it off with brake clean and start it up and watch oil trickle down within seconds. I guess I will remove the alt and tensioner to get a better look.

I( removed the crank sensor to get a better look. The engine seemed dry over the top crank sensor bolt. I used thread sealer in the bolt also. I found what seems to be a crack right above crank sensor bolt. Would this cause a steady drip of oil when idling. I guess I need to find a new cover.leak3a.jpg This sucks, all I want to do is drive my car

Attachments

• leak3a.jpg
    leak3a.jpg
    496.3 KB · Views: 249
For now B has the best idea. Clean the area thoroughly with brake cleaner and then use something to force it into the crack. Use the original formula and not the quick version. Let it sit for at least 24 hours and see if it still leaks. Then try and find a decent cover.

I think I would try to rough up the area around the crack with sand paper as well to give the JB Weld something to bite onto.

Bryan

I had the same thing happen on a brand new TA front cover. JB weld didn't work. I took the cover off and the surface where it mates with the block wasn't even close to being flat which caused it to crack when it was installed.

might try a little dremmel work to slightly enlarge the crack so you can get good adhesion with the JB weld. Make sure to grind down any excess once it's dry so that you will have good mating surfaces.

I will try the Dremmel to clean it up. I was thinking about using a Shop Vac hooked up to valve cover breather while cleaning it with brake clean. Creating a low pressure inside should help the brake clean get inside of the crack and stop oil from seeping out . It couldn't hurt to try unless I spray brake clean in my eye:eek: or something.

JB weld is pretty overkill but will definitely work. I would brake clean the area and bondo it with some right stuff.

Either way I would still get a new cover.

Another update. I used a Dremel and JB Weld. and let it dry 24 hours. Then I put a light coat of Permatex right stuff. 75 miles and dry as a bone. But if it starts seeping in the future I will replace the cover and give an update to tell how long repair held.

I repaired a cast aluminium oil pan with jb in 2009 and its been fine ever since. It had a hole punched in the bottom from a tow hook though, so not quite the same as your crack.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back