You can type here any text you want

Oil leak with RJC Girdle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chris McDade

Does anyone have any problems with oil leaking from the oil pan studs with a RJC girdle? I have oil leaking on to my crossover pipe and it looks like its coming from the oil pan studs.

Thanks

same here Chris on my dads T. Gonna drop the pan and pull each stud out one by one and teflon them and re-install.

I have installed 5 or 6 RJC girdles

same here Chris on my dads T. Gonna drop the pan and pull each stud out one by one and teflon them and re-install.

And to my knowledge not a one has leaked anywhere. I WILL NOT have more than .005 pan to rail clearance @ the largest spot. It is wise but time consuming to flat stone the block pan rail. I see this as one of the reasons people are breaking pan rail studs (excessive clearance) I had a friend tell me he doesn't even check the clearance. He also has broken studs. I would suggest that you remove all studs--clean threads (both in block and stud) with brake cleaner -- then use black silecone sealant to seal threads. When I apply Right Stuff to block pan rail I go around each stud hole. Use plenty--then when torqued to desired value, I clean any excess inside and out. IMHO, I see no reason for a girdle to leak if installer pays attention to detail.

Chris, mine did the same thing in same spot , brake cleaner and rightstuff, no more leak

Mine leaks in the same spot. I will fix it this winter. Going to remove the studs and clean and seal them up!:biggrin:

... I have oil leaking on to my crossover pipe and it looks like its coming from the oil pan studs. Thanks

There is a possibility that it could be a valve cover, or a leak from an oil line, or the adapter?

Have seen many oil leaks run down the pan rail. Since the stud is the lowest point at the pan rail, it will drip from there. :confused:

Nick,
It's not coming from the valve covers. Check all that all ready. Can't tell you how many times ive been under the car trying to find this oil leak. Gone through allot of break cleaner!

Im going to pull the pan and silicone all the studs.

Trying to get all this done before Noble! Oh, and the tranny has to come out also. 2nd gear is slipping!

I Used the Perma-Tex Aviation Form-a-gasket on the last girdle I did, (the brown goopy stuff) and I have not heard any problems of it leaking.

silicone is a doube edged sword. i personally use very little of the stuff cause it just doesnt stick well to smooth flat clean surfaces. always squeezes it self out after a couple of heat cycles.

A.j.

Talked to RJC and they said take the nuts off and put silicone around the studs and tighten the nuts back up. Im going to try this first before I pull the pan back off.

Chris, I had the same issue and after a CLOSE inspection while on jackstand and with the motor running here is what I found.

I had sealed everthing exept the threads for the studs. When a nut is torqued the tension seals the threads on the pressure side but creates a gap on the back side of the thread. This gap allows for oil to migrate down the stud thru the block, girdle, oil pan gasket and finaly the nut. Then form a drop on the stud.

The above is the fix. I pulled the oil pan AND girdle with the motor in the car (yes it was a pain) and resealed the entire thing including coating each stud.
I have not had a single drop from the girdle since.

I have come to swear by Right Stuff by permatex. That stuff just works. Not knocking any of the other products out there but it has worked on anything that I needed to seal and not have to worry about a leak.

Hope this helps. Jon Hanson

Back