You can type here any text you want

Oil Pump and Front Cover Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
Does this oil pump wear look normal? Is there a way to tell if the front cover is GM or aftermarket? High volume or normal oil pump gears?
The engine had 17lbs hot.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562890.677349.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562904.993451.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562917.076966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562931.776989.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562943.660261.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365562954.227784.jpg

If it's a GM cover there will be a GM part number above the (rear mounted) front seal. Look just above the "X" on the casting...
im002364-jpg.183376

The gears on a standard volume pump are right at 7/8" tall.

From the pics you posted it looks like someone enlarged the oil passage and didn't bother to open up the gasket to allow for the larger passageway. It also looks like the filter adapter gasket was glued in place.... was it leaking oil there?

I'm guessing the flash makes the scratches look worse than they really are? The filter adapter needs to be lapped flat before it goes back together. EDIT: I just noticed it's a close up of a thrust/repair plate. The garbage is a good place to store that.

Thanks for the info. The front seal is external so must be aftermarket.
This thing has an old kb booster plate. If memory serves correctly it did leak and a small amount of sealant was used. The wear on the sides of the oil pump gear housing looks ok? Looks like the gear was contacting the housing a bit. Is that normal?

It's hard to tell if the wear is OK by looking at pictures. I know how hard it is to accurately take pics of the gear pockets. It looks like some crud has went through the pump from time to time. (or it was built too tight and the plate got swirled on startup and the burrs scratched up the gear pocket.

For that to be a KB booster plate, the filter adapter would have a slot hand milled in it to let oil go up and over the gasket and feed the side of the gears.

With a front mounted seal it's definitely chinese aftermarket. That explains why the feel hole is smaller than the gasket. Back when I first wrote my 'how-to' article on oil pumps quite a few people reported blowing out the side when drilling it to 1/2".

Well it is definitely a high volume pump. I think I purchased this front cover from bowling green customs back in the day. The cover has the taller gear pockets so the high volume is the only option unless I purchase a new cover. Oh we'll it's lasted this long.....

So is this cam bearing wear normal or is this caused by the long pump gears? Can feel the groove from the oil groove in cam.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365906831.020326.jpg

That's normal from that HV pump. The grooved cam journal didn't help things either.

Time to knock out the bearings and get a new set installed.

Back