Oil Pump not priming

Awesome, if you get stumped or need to borrow any tools reach out. My cell is in my sig. I work from home.

Hey Steve, I went ahead and tried to prime the pump again just for S & Gs. I filled the oil cooler line up with oil and tried to spin the oil pump. No joy.... Again. So, i'm thinking that since I am using 15w-50 oil and it has been incredibly cold here for the past couple of weeks. Should I wait until it warms up or should I go ahead and drop the oil pump and oil pan?

Did you try snugging up the front cover bolts?

The thick cold oil will deffiniy be harder to pull up to the pump specially if it’s conventional.

Actually I have not tried that yet. I did just change the gasket on the front cover. I also installed a new PTE Stretch Stock Location Intercooler and had to remove a cover bolt and change it to a longer bolt.

I am using Amsoil 15w-50 synthetic oil. However, with it being only around 24 degrees for the past four days and it's pretty thick. I was thinking that would start to be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Yes I did. I lost it when I started it with the car jacked up. It was jacked up for about two weeks prior to me starting it and it wasn't jacked up that far either, just far enough for me to crawl under the engine with it running. I After a few minutes is when I noticed that the oil/choke light was on. I then let the car down. I could never regain the pressure.

When the cover was off did you do my oil mods?

If not, I'd recommend pulling it back off. It'll be easy to see if the gasket failed at that point. And while it's off you can do some free efficiency upgrades to your oiling system.

Hey Steve, I went ahead and tried to prime the pump again just for S & Gs. I filled the oil cooler line up with oil and tried to spin the oil pump. No joy.... Again. So, i'm thinking that since I am using 15w-50 oil and it has been incredibly cold here for the past couple of weeks. Should I wait until it warms up or should I go ahead and drop the oil pump and oil pan?
I agree with Rick and Earl. It should not just lose prime. You've got to be sucking air somewhere. One trick you can try is to over fill it, get the oil higher than the pump. it will prime, then drain it and put 5 qts back in. You will have your answer at that point. Happy to help you along the way, I can drive out your way if needed.

When priming with the drill there should have been quite a bit of back pressure on the drill. IOW, you should have felt the oil pressure build by how much the drill torqued back.

Last time I saw this a tiny piece of the plastic upper timing chain gear had blocked the oil pressure regulator valve open.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Have you taken the spring and plunger out to check this?

Roger that. I'll see what I can get to today. I'm thinking of dropping the oil pan just to see what the oil pick up tube looks like. I have put a ton of oil in the oil cooler tube to try to prime it and no joy. I have to expand my search. I'll do that by first snugging up the front cover bolts. I'll make sure I don't go over torque specs. I'll then drain and drop the oil pan to see WTFO.

Thanks for all the advice. I really appreciate it.

I have not looked at the oil pump yet. Probably should be my first task.

Thanks for the input.
Is it a TA cover? Those are the best out of the box and require very little work. I usually keep 2-3 on hand at all times.

The stuck relief valve seems the most likely to cause a sudden loss of pressure and also no prime because you can't see any pressure build with it stuck open.

Okay, Steve, V, I had put extra oil in, and tried to prime it one more time. No joy. I then lifted the car and pulled the oil pump off. The gears were dry and all the oil I had put in the coolant tube had been pushed into the oil filter.

I'm thinking about draining the oil and dropping the oil pan next. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks. I can't work on it during the week due to my work schedule and next weekend I will be on travel.

Okay, Steve, V, I had put extra oil in, and tried to prime it one more time. No joy. I then lifted the car and pulled the oil pump off. The gears were dry and all the oil I had put in the coolant tube had been pushed into the oil filter.

I'm thinking about draining the oil and dropping the oil pan next. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get to it for a couple of weeks. I can't work on it during the week due to my work schedule and next weekend I will be on travel.
I agree. Time to have a look at that pickup tube. Maybe it will be warmer in a few weeks.