You can type here any text you want

oil pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bugsy

When rebuilding stock block 87 GN for street use , what brand hi-volume oil pump is recommended ? Any changes needed to the timing cover ?

Also , what seems to be the best quality bearings these days ?

Are people happy with the RJC oil pans ? Tks .

Ever person I talk with says not to use one. I personal have had a lot of problems because of one. Do a search for earl brown timing cover mod and do it.

Just get a Federal-Mogul (Sealed-Power/Speed-Pro) or Melling standard pump and the Melling P-20I booster plate plus the cover mods.

Thrust plate.

Use a thrust plate. The best thing about using one is you can measure the thrust clearance by bolting the thrust plate by its self with a gasket and checking the thrust clearance of the gears with a feeler guage through the hole where the gears are exposed. TA PERF sells a shim kit if you need more clearance. If you need less you can reduce clearance by sanding your gears on plate glass.

I honestly have never had any problem with a HV unit but that doesn't discount that others have. On most of my builds the mains are enlarged so a HV unit is required to keep the pressures up. I have been using HV units from fullthrottle on the last 3-4 setups I've put together and they have all been great so far. I even do the Earl Brown mods to the HV covers with no issues.

I run a cleaned up stock cover with standard length gears and have never ran a HV pump. I have not had a problem on any of my engines. Oil pressure was never a problem. Still hits the pressure relief when the oil is really hot.

Back