Oil weight for this setup?

Dan SS2471

20 JE forged pistons; 204/214 Edelbrock
flat tappet cam; 60# Mototrons; stock std/std crank;
TurboTweek chip; ported stock heads (stock springs
reused); 3 billet steel main caps; Edelbrock double roller
timing set.

Doing my first oil change since purchase. Aaron, who I bought it from has been using 10W40 since the rebuild. I picked up Mobil 1 10W30. I'm not all too familar (ok, not at all) with these engines especially with the addition of the stronger internals that were added during the rebuild. With the two Ford supercharged 5.4s I had, all vendors recommended 5W20 because of tight tolerances. So I figured I'd try the 10W30.

Just wanted to get some expert advice & opinions before I do anything.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Dan

Any good 10-40W oil should be ok. I'm not a big fan of Mobile 1 when using a flat tappet cam.

Not sure if it makes a difference but I didn't mention that I'll be adding 4oz. of ZDDP Plus.

So aside from brand, guess you're saying to stick with the 10W40 and not to use the 10W30?

Thanks for the reply...

Dan

Not sure if it makes a difference but I didn't mention that I'll be adding 4oz. of ZDDP Plus.

So aside from brand, guess you're saying to stick with the 10W40 and not to use the 10W30?

Thanks for the reply...

Dan

it might be good if you could talk to the original engine builder about the main and rod clearances-------if they were in the stock range ie mains .0005 to .0015 and rods slightly more then 10w30 would probably be your best choice-----thats exactly what GM suggested------otherwise if you trust your oil pressure gauge (a lot of cheap ones can't be trusted) judge by your running pressure--------- around 20 to 25 hot at idle plus 10 for each 1000rpm above that-------to raise it go to a higher viscosity and to lower it go to a lower viscosity------too high is not always better------it can be an indication that the oil flow through the bearings is too low

it might be good if you could talk to the original engine builder about the main and rod clearances-------if they were in the stock range ie mains .0005 to .0015 and rods slightly more then 10w30 would probably be your best choice-----thats exactly what GM suggested------otherwise if you trust your oil pressure gauge (a lot of cheap ones can't be trusted) judge by your running pressure--------- around 20 to 25 hot at idle plus 10 for each 1000rpm above that-------to raise it go to a higher viscosity and to lower it go to a lower viscosity------too high is not always better------it can be an indication that the oil flow through the bearings is too low

Great info. Thanks. Aaron (RAMAIR1) who is the previous owner has been running the 10W40 since the rebuild and has many sources who have told him it's the way to go. I'll monitor the various pressure levels you outlined prior to changing the oil and take it from there. I trust him too so I may wind up just going with the 10W40.

Thanks again..

Dan