okay. i've been had by eBay. lesson learned

So you WILL have $15k in a HA car that might be worth $7500 on a good day. :eek: Why not take a loss an just sell it.. $$$$ AND labor is goin to be a killer do this car over. :confused::redface:

You can always resell it on ebay;) I don't think I could buy any car without seeing it first, this definitely reassures me.

Rust shots look to just be the doors and trunk lid ? Do they make new skins for the doors ? How bout a fiberglass deck lid - Kirbans

I'd go for it, local junk yard doors for a regal should fit. FG bumpers are $190, get a cheap paint job - don't think you were going for a show car or you wouldn't have bought it even looking as it did in the Ebay ad. Find a local TB.com member to help you get it running smooth and enjoy. If you spend 2-3 k and still don't like it, it'll still bring a whole lot more money than its going to get now.

Kaj i cant find his email or phone# if you pm me one of those i will contact him. Thanks, Jason

PMed.

some one like that i would not mind spending a few days in county jail it would be well worth it thats why if i dont see it and drive it i dont buy it sorry man i feel bad for you am sure you work hard for your money :mad:

me? naw. i make $9/hr working on an ambulance, saving people's lives. i work 60-84hrs/week because overtime is the only decent pay we have. i don't work THAT hard.
[/sarcasm]

:)

So you WILL have $15k in a HA car that might be worth $7500 on a good day. :eek: Why not take a loss an just sell it.. $$$$ AND labor is goin to be a killer do this car over. :confused::redface:

pretty much. my last car was a $15k car that i had $22k into. i have a habit of doing things because i want, not because i'm looking to make a profit. LOL. so yep. i expect to be a good $15k into it. IF i ever sell it (as opposed to handing down to my son), i'll take a loss and go onto another project. i didn't buy a GN to make money or have a museum piece. i intend to form it the way i want and drive the HELL of of it. while it would have been nice to get a really nice car, for a good deal, and be ahead on value? eh. no big deal to me. when i decided i wanted one of these car, i had NO intention on ever being anything but upside down. :)
i guess i got what i expected. haha

You can always resell it on ebay;)
Rust shots look to just be the doors and trunk lid ? Do they make new skins for the doors ? How bout a fiberglass deck lid - Kirbans

I'd go for it, local junk yard doors for a regal should fit. FG bumpers are $190, get a cheap paint job - don't think you were going for a show car or you wouldn't have bought it even looking as it did in the Ebay ad. Find a local TB.com member to help you get it running smooth and enjoy. If you spend 2-3 k and still don't like it, it'll still bring a whole lot more money than its going to get now.

did some more checking. doors are rusted through. it would seem grabbing some Regal doors is gonna be the easiest option. i'd rather start with some clean ones. the spot on the trunk will have the trunk ground out and metal filled, ground smooth and painted, etc. i'm told we can save it, rather than buy another. fiberglass DEFINITELY crossed my mind. it's an option if i don't like how the trunk turns out. no way am i looking for a show car. in fact, i kinda planned to rip out the interior and have it bare-bones, stock-car style. no carpet. Winters shifter. maybe even a sheet metal dash with all Autometer gauges and Kirkey seats. this is NOT gonna be a concourse restoration of any kind, but will be something kinda different as i have it in my mind. all for fun, not to make a profit if i decide to sell.
i DID find more rust in expected places. it's nasty. pictures are here. links, 'cause they are BIG pics so my body guy can check 'em out:

lower part of rear quarter panel. classic rust spot. there are some small holes up and underneath. oh, yes. there is. both sides have rust bubbles, but this is the worst:

http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/bodywork07.JPG

then there is the spot at the bottom of the rear window, where the body/window/trunk all come together. only the passenger side is rotted out:

http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/bodywork09.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/bodywork10.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/bodywork16.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~drivetilidie/bodywork17.JPG

so. i have a friend who does body work. it's gonna cost me.. but f**k it. i have the car. if i sell it, i won't have enough to buy anything else.

we're gonna grind away all the rust, fill in what we can, replace the rest, and paint it up all good as new. no rust. and no: it won't be easy. LOL

hopefully i recoup some cash via the courts. if not, i'll work with what i have.

it would be NICE to find a local TB guy.. but i don't think have any. it would be helpful to have someone look into this engine bay and tell me what does and doesn't belong. LOL

so. this guy burned me. but i'm stuck with the car. the mechanic/kid/idiot (LOL) in me is wanting to save the car and bring it back from the dead. i'm kinda stoked. i love a challenge. i just wish the seller had been honest so i wouldn't be out all of my money. i have $2k left. once that's gone, i'm done until more cash comes up. if, and i mean IF i get any money back from the seller, i MAY be able to finish the car then. that would be pretty awesome.

well i to have been had from craigslist. bought a tr and it wouldnt start i figured a its a easy fix. a month later i still cant get the damn thing to start... im there with you man..

#1HotRod is a member from Fresno.. met him a few years back at LACR.. maybe you could PM him.

Those trunk shots look rough.. cut, weld, fill, keep trunk closed a lot :)

I'm supposed to go to Pick A Part in a week or two with a couple local GN guys, so I'll take a look around and let ya know.

Gutting it out huh:eek: You could sell the interior parts for profit... I'd think you'd of bought a much faster car to build a race car:D

Its Cali.. enjoy the T Tops.. mine don't leak.. but I don't drive in the rain much either

well i to have been had from craigslist. bought a tr and it wouldnt start i figured a its a easy fix. a month later i still cant get the damn thing to start... im there with you man..

ha. yeah. it happens. i hope the guy is enjoying all the money i gave him. :)

#1HotRod is a member from Fresno.. met him a few years back at LACR.. maybe you could PM him.

Those trunk shots look rough.. cut, weld, fill, keep trunk closed a lot :)

I'm supposed to go to Pick A Part in a week or two with a couple local GN guys, so I'll take a look around and let ya know.

i'll hit him up. maybe he's up for a good laugh and will wanna come check out the car. LOL

yes, trunk area is rough. like i said: not even gonna try to restore. i'm just going to put it back together properly. lots of grinding, replacing, and welding. as long as the body is straight, has no rust, and is solid, i'm happy. i'll then put good paint on it. it won't look show-room new, but it will be a VERY nice daily driver.
some day i MAY sell it.. but only for a hard top. at least the buyer will be able to come here and see the history of the car. i never hide anything when selling a car.
headbang.gif

oh im pretty sure he is even though i only paid 1,800 for a non running Ha Grand national.. and i knew it wouldnt start,befor i bought it. saw it in person and i jumped. with 63k on a 25 yr old car that in good shap garage queen 100% of her life im the second owner the hook was tempting and thats why i bite down hard on it.....lol... now the car left this morning to a shop cuz my brain is fried on getting it to start....

Ok i spoke with Josh last night. He claims car had no rust on doors or floor lmao!! I guess it pops up over night? He said he paid 6k for the car and put new interior, master cylinder, tires [which he was nice enough to give receipt for] whatever that means i dont know! Also he gave alot of extra parts? So he is losing money on deal already lol. I told him it doesnt matter about that its the way car was presented and explained where the problem is. I told him car is worth $1500 max he came back with he can get 9k all day long on ebay for hot airs :rolleyes: He says he wants to work things out cause your nice and he is not out to rip anyone off:rolleyes: So he said it might be a while before he can get some money lol. If i were you i would keep taking your course with the courts cause i have been there before and i really doubt you will see any money. Also those pictures used on his ebay add are from original owner in FL so that might help you in court. I remember those on a craigslist ad the original guy had for over a year.

This sucks.

That being said, ALWAYS look at a car before purchasing. As you can see, ones interpreted condition of a car varies from someone elses.

You are both at fault in this situation. Him for not being honest or informed of the condition of the property he was selling, and you for not looking at the car....especially for the price.

No lawyer will touch this, regardless of the purchase contract via E-bay.

Mark this up to lesson learned.

What's everyone's theory on the fact he has feedback for selling the same car to someone else. Hard to believe seller/buyer would both leave positive feedback if the deal fell through. Add to the fact the car has different mileage listed on this auction.

eBay Feedback Profile for grampybandit

Ok i spoke with Josh last night. He claims car had no rust on doors or floor lmao!! I guess it pops up over night? He said he paid 6k for the car and put new interior, master cylinder, tires [which he was nice enough to give receipt for] whatever that means i dont know! Also he gave alot of extra parts? So he is losing money on deal already lol. I told him it doesnt matter about that its the way car was presented and explained where the problem is. I told him car is worth $1500 max he came back with he can get 9k all day long on ebay for hot airs :rolleyes: He says he wants to work things out cause your nice and he is not out to rip anyone off:rolleyes: So he said it might be a while before he can get some money lol. If i were you i would keep taking your course with the courts cause i have been there before and i really doubt you will see any money. Also those pictures used on his ebay add are from original owner in FL so that might help you in court. I remember those on a craigslist ad the original guy had for over a year.

Oh, yes. The court case is going through unless he drops cash in my Paypal account. I'm not letting up unless we settle. I don't give up easily when I've been wronged. Good to know about the pictures, though I can't prove they are from an old ad.

What's everyone's theory on the fact he has feedback for selling the same car to someone else. Hard to believe seller/buyer would both leave positive feedback if the deal fell through. Add to the fact the car has different mileage listed on this auction.

eBay Feedback Profile for grampybandit

I think its fake. For one, I emailed that person. No reply. Second, that feedback didn't show up until after I bought the car. If you look at the dates, the feedback was left about a month after the "sale". I will look, but it should also be after my purchase date. Had that feedback been there when I was researching the car/buyer, no way would I have proceeded. Too fishy. This whole deal is nothing but a scam.
I'm guessing he used a friends account to drive the price up. Once the auction closes, he hits up the REAL highest bidder and guys them up to buy. Or...a sucker like me. Whichever is the case.

I think its fake. For one, I emailed that person. No reply. Second, that feedback didn't show up until after I bought the car. If you look at the dates, the feedback was left about a month after the "sale". I will look, but it should also be after my purchase date. Had that feedback been there when I was researching the car/buyer, no way would I have proceeded. Too fishy. This whole deal is nothing but a scam.
I'm guessing he used a friends account to drive the price up. Once the auction closes, he hits up the REAL highest bidder and guys them up to buy. Or...a sucker like me. Whichever is the case.

If you can prove that the price was manipulated by him OR a friend without intention to purchase, you have a darn good case.

If you can prove that the price was manipulated by him OR a friend without intention to purchase, you have a darn good case.

eh. just a hunch. i have NO way to prove it. maybe ebay can find a way. i'd like them to check his account info. if they can find where certain accounts were high bidders, but he never accepted them? i dunno.

i've sent them a request that, although i'm not covered under buyer protection, i would at least like them to review his account so this doesn't happen to anyone else in the future.

eh. just a hunch. i have NO way to prove it. maybe ebay can find a way. i'd like them to check his account info. if they can find where certain accounts were high bidders, but he never accepted them? i dunno.

i've sent them a request that, although i'm not covered under buyer protection, i would at least like them to review his account so this doesn't happen to anyone else in the future.

Also he said ebay was going to drop the negative feedback cause he has stock in it:rolleyes: also cause he has been a member for over 10 years:rolleyes: and because he was military:rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess that means you can just F people over cause those things.

I think it would be hard to prove. If ya looked at my bids on Ebay you would see me all over the place with all sorts of bids on the craziest cars and $$$. Ebay feedback isn't very reliable as it use to be. I bought a GN and after flying down to see the car it was a POS 18k mile car. So I was a "non paying BUYER" and he was a slime bag with pics of the car posted when HE bought it 10 years ago !!. I mailed Ebay an after showing my travel expenses they removed BOTH of the feedbacks from us.

Also he said ebay was going to drop the negative feedback cause he has stock in it:rolleyes: also cause he has been a member for over 10 years:rolleyes: and because he was military:rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess that means you can just F people over cause those things.

Maybe this guy is a little "not right"? He keeps coming up with stuff that NOBODY will believe cause we all know better. He's tonnage plead "insanity", I just know it. LOL

I think it would be hard to prove. If ya looked at my bids on Ebay you would see me all over the place with all sorts of bids on the craziest cars and $$$. Ebay feedback isn't very reliable as it use to be. I bought a GN and after flying down to see the car it was a POS 18k mile car. So I was a "non paying BUYER" and he was a slime bag with pics of the car posted when HE bought it 10 years ago !!. I mailed Ebay an after showing my travel expenses they removed BOTH of the feedbacks from us.

Naw. No way to prove if he was bumping the price. He keeps saying "but still I left YOU positive feedback." No s#!t man. I paid for the car the day the sale closed.

What a mess. He's not gonna be happy when he sees the proposes judgement. HAha

Off the fraud topic and back on to the car.

I noticed something on the FPR. Looks to me like the rubber line may be compromised which will cause a dangerous situation when into boost.

see below. I would also safety wire or zip-tie that to the regulator bung.

Attachments

• TB.JPG
    TB.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 308
Off the fraud topic and back on to the car.

I noticed something on the FPR. Looks to me like the rubber line may be compromised which will cause a dangerous situation when into boost.

see below. I would also safety wire or zip-tie that to the regulator bung.

I saw that too. If I keep the car, ill be buying a couple miles of vacuum line. :)

I also need to find out why there Is an empty vacuum port, in the background.

Not sure on 85, but that open port in the back looks like where coolant lines run through the throttle body. Many unhook them because you end up with hot coolant running through there - I always guessed it was similar to the heat tubes that run from the manifold up to the air cleaner on carb'd cars to heat them up faster in cold climates.

Not sure on 85, but that open port in the back looks like where coolant lines run through the throttle body. Many unhook them because you end up with hot coolant running through there - I always guessed it was similar to the heat tubes that run from the manifold up to the air cleaner on carb'd cars to heat them up faster in cold climates.

I'm familiar with those setups. That sounds very likely. I'm constantly finding small mods done by the previous owner.