Old SpeedPro not connecting to New Laptop

kidrick

Decided to get a newer laptop for my GN before my old one took a crap. But now I can't get the SpeedPro ECU to connect to the new laptop. Any help?

I have:
Lenovo Think Pad(running WindowsXP with C-COMwp & C-COMxfi I've tried both)
Speed-Pro ECU
DB9 to USB adapter(new laptop does not have older DB9 plug-in) I've tried two different DB9 to USB adapters and neither work.

First off if I connect the DB9 cable from the SpeedPro to my DB9 port on my old laptop, everything works great.

When I connect the DB9 cable from the SpeedPro to the DB9 to USB adapter then to my new laptop, the laptop can not locate the SpeedPro. It tries to connect for a couple seconds and then says it can't. I can tell they are trying to connect because I see the red/green dots trying to change to all green. Any help?

I just downloaded the USB driver from FAST for WindowsXP, we'll see if this works.

Have you configured the port/com settings? You have to go into your device manager and find out which com port the usb adapter is plugged into.. it should be pretty obvious.. then on the ccom software, just select that port and it should link up..

Keep in mind of the USB port you use to do this.. after you get this fixed.. plug the usb adapter into that same usb port every time after and you shouldn't have to revisit this.

I was able to download the driver for the Dynex DB9 to USB adapter for Windows xp yesterday. Uploaded it to laptop, restarted laptop, plugged in adapter and same story... ECU not found.

I tried every "port setting" and USB port and still no good. I restarted with the adapter plugged in and nothing.

The two adapters I have are:
Gigawire from RadioShack $40
Dynex from Best Buy $36

I really don't want to spend more money on another brand of adapter unless it is going to work. Thanks, and if anyone has anymore suggestions please let me know.

Just curious, why didn't you buy the one FAST sells? If that doesn't work you have another problem.

I tried every "port setting" and USB port and still no good. I restarted with the adapter plugged in and nothing.

What port are you seeing in the Device Manager when you're hooked up and everything powered on??

The Dynex should work. At least mine does.

Dave,
That is what I'm going to check today after I get home. I'm use to working on a Mac so all these extra PC controls are a pain. I was changing the port through the "settings" menu from the C-COMxfi, but maybe I need to adjust the ports through the WindowsXP control panel also. I'll post what happens, thanks.

Dave,
That is what I'm going to check today after I get home. I'm use to working on a Mac so all these extra PC controls are a pain. I was changing the port through the "settings" menu from the C-COMxfi, but maybe I need to adjust the ports through the WindowsXP control panel also. I'll post what happens, thanks.

All you have to do is see what port is being called out in the Device Manager. It will show up in the ports section if it's being recognized. Then you set your software to look at that port. You don't adjust Windows, you adjust your software.

Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to connect using C-COMwp software and connected with the correct port by going through device manager.:D