? on head gaskets

JDSfastGN

i read that the stock 84-85 steel shims are no longer available. i have a friend dropping a hotair motor into an 87 chevette that needs head gaskets. Does Felpro make a similar gasket? If i run a 86-87 style how much compression is being lost? Thanks a lot guys. I can't wait to get the motor in and running. The car only weighs 2100#s right now. A conservative 230-240 at the rear should put it solidly in the low 12s or better if he can make the rear hold up :D

i would try to find a set of graphite gaskets...I hear the felpro's are not to agreeable with the hot air cars, but i didnt have any problems with a graphite set....it was the bottom end of my motor that let go!

John :biggrin:

postons and taperformance claim to have sheet shim head gaskets
maybe a phone call and check
andy

I bought stock steel shim gaskets from dealer a couple years ago for cheap aswell. Dont know if still available or not now [might want to make a few calls and make sure]. Wasnt Jason Cramer or someone on this board selling them too ?
Here are thickness of headgaskets compressed as posted many times before by Lee ;) :
GM 84/85 steelshim - .018
GM 86/87 composite - .060
Felpro 1000 - .040

The Felpros that you will get from the local parts store are not the ones that you would want. They are the same that they would sell you if you said you had a NA car. The Felpro part #1000 on the other hand I have heard nothing but good things about. I think your compression ratio with these on a undecked 84/85 block would be around 8:1 ?

cool.... thanks guys , i believe 1000s it is. The 8723s are whats listed but ive almost made that mistake on my 87 GN before so no worries. :cool:

how much compression does one give up on an 84 if they run the Fel Pro's from an auto part's store?
and how much were the oem gaskets before they were discontinued?

novaderrik said:
how much compression does one give up on an 84 if they run the Fel Pro's from an auto part's store?
and how much were the oem gaskets before they were discontinued?

I used to get the OEMs for ~$8 a piece. I'm partially to blame for the shortage due to blowing a gasket every month lol.
The other gaskets don't lower compression enough to matter. I've heard .1-.2 points but never confirmed it.

RJC is working on reproducing them but thicker.
from what i am told its roughly .25 for every .010 of difference,
andy