? on Nitto 555 series DRs

Beamer

I just put a set of the 555 series Nitto DRs on my car. I am running 275/50R15s on Centerline 15X8s. I went Nitto, as I was reading that they are a good choice for DRs and especially that they get up to 12-15K miles out of them. I will drive my car frequently and take it to the track occasionally. I have a 72 Buick GS with a 455 Stage1 motor in it that I run the BFG DRs on and they hook nicely at the track, but that car is only a 12.9 car at the moment, but hoping to get some 11.9 after a few upcoming mods.

I am getting set up in my car that has not been properly tuned for a few years. It has a PT-54 turbo, a prececision oversize stock location I/C, 55 Lb injectors, Champion CNC heads, a cam that I do know the size of (aftermarket though), and plan to put an Alky system on it.

My question is: Will I get these tire to hook properly at the track? I know the car wen 11.50s several years ago on no alky and with a RA race chip and fuel. I am hoping that I can tune it better and with the combo that I have get low 11's and maybe eventually into some 10's. I have in route a Gen2, Extreme G chip, a Powerlogger to go with my Scanmaster, and a Innovative WBO2 to connect in. I think I have what I need to tune it for max performance, but just need to gain the knowledge to put into harmony...

I heard the MTs are awesome on the track and there has been some problems with Nittos by a couple of people. But is this on something that is more extreme than I have?

Thanks for your inputs,
Mike

MT will hook a lot better than the Nitto but the MT won't last long. I get about 2,000 miles out of my MT.

I have 4 sets of Nittos in my basement, used.......none of them really hooked at the track all that well. The M/T tires are king!

That sort of sucks... I understand they hook up on the street pretty good at least.

Maybe I will look for a set of cheap rims to put a set of slicks on. I was thinking of doing exactly that for my 72, and I could do some homework and ensure I can use them on both vehicles.

Mike

Use some VHT. If a track is sticky enough, they will work pretty good.

MTs are better, but 2k miles isnt practical.

Junk

I tried a set of Nittos a few years ago on a stock turbo/intercooler Turbo-T, and they were junk. They wore well, but the rubber was too hard and the sidewall was too stiff to do a lick of good with the mighty torque of our cars. If I didnt heat them up, I could smoke the tires through Drive. And if I over-heated them, they would get "greasy" and not work either :mad: . When they were heated properly, they work marginal at best. Something like a 1.85 sixty ft if I remember correctly. My BFG's would go 1.7's. I bought a set of ET Drags and went a best of a 1.66 before I sold that car. Granted, these times were not run the same day, I still would not buy them again. I would go with real stickies, then the MT DR, then BFG DR, in that order. Hope this helps out a little.

P.S. Careful messing with 50 series tires if you do go with a DR, as you will pull more RPM on the big end of the track due to the smaller diameter.:tongue:

I went high 11's on them however I had to be careful off the line or they'd break loose. Definitely couldn't bonzai launch with them like you can with slicks. I just bought a set of MT DR's and will report when it stops raining.

i went 11.45 at 117 on them on my old setup. Pulled a 1.64 60 ft. Later I ran 315/35/17 drag radials on my 17s and pulled a 1.67 on them. Both were good for low to mid 1.7s consistantly

I have been looking at the Nitto's also, but at 325/50/15 so 13" of section width and 28" tall, this tire has to hook decently slightly warmed up. A 275/50 is just to short IMO, 275/60 has to be the minimum for them.

But buying a set of M/T's at $400 a pop every 3k doesn't sound appealing to me. It would almost make sense to get another set of rear rims and put the M/T's on at the track and then come home in the Nitto's if the M/T's last only 2-3k.

So, which one will be the better one when it come to street use? BFG or NITTOS? Just wondering because I have a ocassional driver on my '86 TR and would like to get my money worth and not break the piggy bank. :smile: Right now I have NITTOS on it (look pic below) but I don't like the rims and the pimp daddy look I currently have. I want to buy new rims and tires to give the car a more muscle car look to it. Any info that can help me decide will be appreciated.

German

Attachments

• DSCF2164.jpg
    DSCF2164.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 568
We just bought and installed a set of 315-35-17 Nitto DR's.....will see how they hook on the street SOON!!!!

Nitto's on the street. I can leave at a light from idle without breaking them loose & they get decent mileage & are good in the rain.

MT, Hoosier, BFG, best of all, slicks at the track. DON'T get caught in the rain with any of these!

Nittos

Have had them on 2 different cars. They last a lot longer then the other DR's. An added plus because of the design you can drive in the rain at almost the speed limit. Wouldn't try to break any speed records but you can get her home safely. Been caught in the rain on MT's Streets and barely get home goin 15mph. Your hands and forearms hurt from having the Vulcan death grip on the steering wheel. Your Sideways in a hurry the whole car is hydroplaning. They are no way as 'STICKY" as MT Streets for racing, MT's made of a softer compound. Nittos are made of a harder compound reason they last longer. If you want to get mileage and not pay for a new set of sneakers evry 3000miles they are your best compromise. Turbotype said he lost almostt 2 tenths on his 60 x's........

I've used the Nitto's, the BFGs, MT ET Streets, and MT ET Radials.

The Nitto's last the longest...but they don't hook for poop. I couldn't get them to hook at the track or on the street. They may be okay for FWD applications with limited horsepower, but all I could get them to do was provide some pretty entertaining burnouts. So in my opionon, they suck for me.

BFGs hooked decent at the track and performed okay on the street. They were good enough in the rain to get me home or to somewhere to wait it out. Treadlife was okay for a drag radial. I thought they were the best all around tire. If I end up driving my car more frequently, I'll probably buy these again.

MT ET Streets hooked great at the track but were worthless as soon as a drop of rain hit the ground. Bottom line was that it is a slick that's somehow DOT certified. No good for off the track, IMO.

MT ET Radials are my current tires. I love them. Amazing grip at the track. Decent grip on the street. And will get you home in the rain, just go easy on the gas. They are extremely soft and wear real quick. But that's the price you have to pay to hook up. Not recommended for a daily driver unless you've got deep pockets. You'll go through them pretty frequently and at $160 each, it can get pricey. But for me, with a weekend street / strip car, they're perfect.

Just my 2 cents. But I have used all of the above.... And if you're running mid 11's, I think the Nittos are the wrong tire. I'd definately recommend the BFG's for you if you're only going to use one set of tires.

---Ron

i went 11.45 at 117 on them on my old setup. Pulled a 1.64 60 ft. Later I ran 315/35/17 drag radials on my 17s and pulled a 1.67 on them. Both were good for low to mid 1.7s consistantly

No way, appearently Nittos suck and are not capable of respectable 60' times...or maybe that has more to do with the driver. :wink:

No way, appearently Nittos suck and are not capable of respectable 60' times...or maybe that has more to do with the driver. :wink:

If 1.7's are your idea of respectable 60' times, then I guess the Nittos work for you.... BUT:

I've seen a whole lot more negative feedback than positive for the Nittos... Additionally, I haven't seen too many quick cars running Nittos either.... I don't remember seeing anyone on them at the last couple GS Nats.... I've launched great off BFG's, MT's, and Goodyear slicks.... If I have to learn a whole new driving style just to run Nittos, no thanks...

I'm sure they work for some setups... Nitto sells a lot of em, so they must work for some people.. I've just never seen them work consistantly in the 1.6 and below range.... Maybe with some other suspension mods...........

---Ron

Nitto drag radials are great street tires. If you're looking for the best traction, MTs are the best, but as stated above don't get caught in the rain and be prepared to replace them often. The Nittos last a long time, and hook well on a prepped track with slower(12.0+) cars. I've gone consistent low 1.6 60' times after getting the pressure/launch sorted out. Had to learn since I run bracket classes all season.