open discussion on the TE 32 and 34

Reaper

Pit Bitch
i have been reading about these 2 turbos, i am really wanting one. i currently have a 49 and like it but i am not in love with it. my combo is blue tops will a 3000 stall red strip. should i stay with 49 or save up and get a 34? thanks

Dathan

Dathan, give me a call, I just removed my TA62 and re-installed my TA34. I have my ear to ear grin back.

The problem with the TA62 was I was hitting the surge line because I am still running a stock motor.

I will be running the 34 in Las Vegas.

Phone:
480.831.0310 ex 206 (work)
480.539.1495 (home)

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin

That is alot of injector and stall for that little turbo the TA62 should have run alot better.:eek:

Stock unopenned motor (low VE). I had to slow spool down to keep from getting compressor surge. I am going to save the TA62 for a 4.1L motor, and run it at lower boost.

Running the TA62, I compared recorded boost vs rpm and compared this with the compressor map, and yes I was in the area on the map showing surge.

I know others have done a lot with the 60-1 compressor, but I just do not have the experience.

Deep Enough

The 32 and 34 are to small turbos. They are a stock replacment. I called pte and told them what I wanted to do, which was upgrade and they told me that a 34 was a small turbo to run on a gn. They suggested to me that I get the te44 which is a bigger turbo and coast the same. The 49 is a good turbo right next to the te44. Thats what a lot pf people are running when they upgrade. after the 49 or 44 they will upgrade to a 60 serise turbo.

gn79: It depends on your application. I am using my TA34 for the street and Autocross racing. I needed a flat torque curve, quick spool, and was not needing more than 450hp.

John Craig recommended this turbo for my application. I can feel it drop off above 5000 rpm, but with this setup I am not looking for peak horsepower.

If you have an engine with a low VE like mine, you can have problems with turbo surge if your boost comes up too quick. Some have had this problem with the TO4E 60 Trim compressor used in the TE44 and TA49. I had this problem with my TA62.

At 17 psig (STP) the following is the Air Flow in Pounds per Minute:

TO4E 57 Trim = 19.5 (approx)
TO4E 60 Trim = 22.5 (approx)

The smaller turbo will avoid compressor surge in a less efficient engine.

Deep Enough
Donald McMullin