You can type here any text you want

Operating rpm range on comp 208/208?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NEARING

Just bought this car and was wondering about what the operating range was. It's not a roller so I don't know if it's much different than stock (rpm wise)

I plan on getting a Dutt neck, a budget down pipe and test pipe from Kirbans and a quality scan tool for data logging..

Mods are as follows.
Engine: has about 5k since freshened up
Comp cam 208: all the info I have on the cam.
Comp lifters
APR Main and Head Studs
HP Rod, Cam and Main Bearings
Valve Job
Resurfaced Heads
Honed Cylinders
Rebuilt Stock Turbo from Precision
Runs 20lbs of Boost WOT
340 Walbro Fuel Pump w/ Hot wire Kit

Hoping to get it down in the 12.0 range once it's dialed in. Was able to run 12.20 on my previous 86-T on 20psi and 28" tall slicks with a similar combo minus the cam. Think with the cam I'd be better off on 26 or 27" tire?

Been away From TR's for 5 yrs FNG around with this GTO:o

Thanks.

It will only go to about 5000-5100 and still make power if stock turbo, heads, and cam. Probably better or trying to keep the engine around 4500 where it has some steam. Keep the tall tire and lock the converter at around 4500 in 3rd. With heads, cam, and more turbo it will ,make power to 5500+

Make sure it has fresh valve springs, clean injectors, hot-wired fuel pump, install a new (clean) gas filter, good PCV valve, soft vacuum hoses, fresh spark plugs and wires.
Conrad

It will only go to about 5000-5100 and still make power if stock turbo, heads, and cam. Probably better or trying to keep the engine around 4500 where it has some steam. Keep the tall tire and lock the converter at around 4500 in 3rd. With heads, cam, and more turbo it will ,make power to 5500+

Was hoping it may have a little longer legs than that. Got to make due with what I got.

Make sure it has fresh valve springs, clean injectors, hot-wired fuel pump, install a new (clean) gas filter, good PCV valve, soft vacuum hoses, fresh spark plugs and wires.
Conrad

I'm going to do the regular spring cleaning stuff before it goes top the track for sure.

Where would you shift this same cam at in a car that has mildly ported heads and a 66BB and alky?

Where would you shift this same cam at in a car that has mildly ported heads and a 66BB and alky?

What is considered mildly ported? If it has a good valve job and bowls cleaned up then its 90% of the potential. If it was a 6665 id shift at 5700 @25+psi. if it is a 6676 id shift at 5500 and a GTQ at 5700+ depending on boost. If under 25 psi id drop the shift point a couple hundred. This is assuming the cam is 112 lobe speration and installed at zero. If it was 110 you may get 100-200 more out of it up top but it will need a looser converter to spool

What is considered mildly ported? If it has a good valve job and bowls cleaned up then its 90% of the potential. If it was a 6665 id shift at 5700 @25+psi. if it is a 6676 id shift at 5500 and a GTQ at 5700+ depending on boost. If under 25 psi id drop the shift point a couple hundred. This is assuming the cam is 112 lobe speration and installed at zero. If it was 110 you may get 100-200 more out of it up top but it will need a looser converter to spool

Not exactly sure of the specifics, I was just told that from the previous owner/builder. :redface:

I put a tach on and found the car was shifting at 4700-4800 into second and 4800-4900 into 3rd. Figured that might be a big contribution to the less than stellar times I have been running with it. Billet tranny and 9.5" 3200 PTC NL...

Not exactly sure of the specifics, I was just told that from the previous owner/builder. :redface:

I put a tach on and found the car was shifting at 4700-4800 into second and 4800-4900 into 3rd. Figured that might be a big contribution to the less than stellar times I have been running with it. Billet tranny and 9.5" 3200 PTC NL...
You can pinpoint shift points easily with a g force meter and the bsfc as the rpm climbs. If your car requires a 9.5" PTC while running a 208 you are probably mismatched somewhere unless you are running it really hard. Fwiw my 9.5" PTC only stalls to 2800 at zero boost/vacuum with the cam i run and i shift at 6200. Im under convertered but i use a shot of N2O to solve that.

To answer the question I would shift the car at 5600 rpms. You have a big turbo thats not going to run out of air so spin it up. Make sure you have the gas and alky tuned in well.

My tranny shifts at that point also. Sounds like it is time to shift it yourself or to start grinding on the governor weights in the tranny.
Conrads

Back