Operating system, maybe Linux? help

JDEstill

Turboliscious!
Here's the deal - I have an old Dell laptop I use for DirectScan. It has a CD drive, a USB port, no floppy. Whoever owned the computer before me took some of the RAM out, so I think it only has 2 megs, maybe 4, something small. Hard drive died, I got a replacement, and it seems to be functional. But now I need an operating system. So, what to do now?

I still have some old floppies with DOS on them, and I'd use that except I need USB support to get files off and on the computer (since it doesn't have a floppy drive). So that nixes most everything older than Win98SE. Don't have a copy of that, and don't want to buy one.

Since I can get various flavors of Linux for free, I was wondering if that would be the way to go. Is there a version of Linux that is:
1. loadable from CD
2. small enough to not require much RAM
3. has USB support
4. I can get a DOS emulator for to run DS?

I am assuming that I could run DS through a DOS emulator, but maybe I'm mistaken there?

So, ideas? Is there a better option that I'm overlooking?

Help!

John

If you're going to be using it for Direct Scan only you could get a 2.5" USB HD adapter from TigerDirect.com for about $20.

Hook it up to your main computer and load DOS and Direct Scan onto it. Alter the Autoexec.bat file to run DS automatically on startup. Then take the HD out of the adapter and put it in the laptop.

The only drawback to this is if you want to save the DS runs and open them on another computer, you'll have to get the HD out of the laptop again.

HTH

Floppy Drive

What model Dell is it? I probaby have an extra floppy drive if its a CPi. $5 + shipping. Or look on eBay, they might be cheaper than that.

I don't know if there is a DOS emulator for Linux. I know you can go back the other way with Virtual Machine; but likely RAM is going to be an issue if you do find an emulator. Windows Virtual Machine under WinXP - well its a memory hog.

JDEstill,

The USB floppy probably won't work, as a Dell that old probably won't support booting to a USB device anyway.

Email me and I'll get you set up. I've most likely got everything you'll need (Dell RAM, Floppy Drives, etc.), sitting around collecting dust.

Happy to help out a TR guy.

Hey guys - it's a Dell Latitude CP M233ST.

Shane, thanks for the idea, but I'm betting QW is right - I doubt this thing has the capability of booting from the USB. It's a bit of a relic. But to answer your other question, yes, this machine is for DS only. Absolutely nothing else!

jshilli1, thanks for the offer, I might want that. Let me get with QW and see if he and I can come up with a plan.

QW, I've got a funeral to go to tomorrow, but I'll be in touch the day after if that's ok.

If anyone else has some bright ideas, lets hear 'em!

Thanks guys

John

No, you misunderstood me. Use the USB Adapter to load DS and DOS on to the hard drive, then take it out of the adapter and load it into the laptop normally.

Make any sense?

Originally posted by JDEstill
... Let me get with QW and see if he and I can come up with a plan...QW, I've got a funeral to go to tomorrow, but I'll be in touch the day after if that's ok.
Best of luck to you with the funeral. Friday will be fine.

Shane - makes sense, but would it work? I don't have an operating system on the thing right now, so how can I get the USB functional so I can use the adapter to get anything on the hard drive?

John

I think buying a floppy for it is near the best idea for a modular system. DOSemu does exist for Linux, but setting up linux, DOSemu and so on won't be any small amount of fun, not to mention you'd have to use a fairly old version to get it to run on 4 megs. Admittedly there are some small linux distros out there, why kill a fly with a cannon? Don't get me wrong, Linux is cool and everything (own a few slack boxes myself) but I think that it's the least efficient way of doing this.
Here's how you do it; get a free DOS terminal program, a $13 null modem serial cable and use hyperterminal on your Win32 machine. Have one connect to the other, then send the files via the terminal program on the DOS machine. Should be doable I believe. It may be a nuisance to send all the files one at a time, so a copy of PKzip may be a good idea too.