You can type here any text you want

Opinion About a GN drivetrain not started in over 2yrs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Little6pack

I went to look at a Regal Wagon that had a 87 Intercooled Driveline eng, bfr trans & 8.5 rear.

I made an low offer on the car because I could not here it run, I truly only wanted the driveline.

Here is what I did not like. Motor was not started in over 2 years.

What threw me is the guy had lots of classics cars
Why wouldn't a person who knows cars not bother to change battery, change oil and add some fresh gas.

My worry is it would not run or there was some issue.

He said that is the way he is selling it. I walked away from the deal after he said NO & I explained why the low offer. Was I wrong? Or Justified..

I know Grumpy will go get it but I can't afford to buy a bum driveline. I am surprised I beat Grump too it.

I feel you made the right move. When I was shopping for my daily driver(not a GN), I came across one fully loaded. It had 50,000 miles on it but was mint inside and out. It was on a dealer lot with a dead battery. I came back the next day, still dead. The asking price was $18,000. I was about to leave then the guy says, "Man, it has it all and for a great price, you won't find a better deal". My reply was, "You must really want to keep it here since you won't even prove it runs! Looks nice there though." Drove off in my 87 GN chiping 2nd gear:biggrin:

If you get it home to find a broken crank or cracked block...its still yours!

I guess you really have to know when to walk away... As hard as it was I told the guy I would have paid his full asking price if he fired it up. It is not like I wanted to take the wagon for a ride.

I knew about the car when it was built a LONG LONG time ago! I already have my wagon. Don't want or need another:p hmmmm... maybe if I ...... :p

it's not that hard to dump some gas in it and hook up a battery charger.
if the seller is too lazy to do that much, then he must actually want to keep the car.

I think you were justified. If you can't hear it run or test drive it to ensure every checks out ok, chances are there's something wrong with it that the seller is hiding. Sort of like when people sell bondoed up rust buckets yet leave the finish in primer.

If someone were selling me a used (but perfectly running, so they said) engine or transmission that was not in the car to where it could be tested, I'd still pay them the same as if I were buying an engine or transmission that I knew up front needed a total rebuild.

To sum it up: Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Oh,I didn't buy it,just saw it sold within a few days,I was kicking around the idea,but never pulled the trigger,there is too much out there for a few bucks more.....

Oh,I didn't buy it,just saw it sold within a few days,I was kicking around the idea,but never pulled the trigger,there is too much out there for a few bucks more.....

Your right lots of stuff.. Lots of T-type and turbo T's going cheap... I am just gonna keep mine. I rather spend time with my kids.
I get to introduce my 17 year old next year into drag racing when he is 18. He loved it going up there this year (wants to race his monte). The other one likes archery.

Your right lots of stuff.. Lots of T-type and turbo T's going cheap... I am just gonna keep mine. I rather spend time with my kids.
I get to introduce my 17 year old next year into drag racing when he is 18. He loved it going up there this year (wants to race his monte). The other one likes archery.

why wait until the kid's 18 to race? most sanctioning bodies and tracks let licensed 16 year olds race with a waiver signed by the parents.

It's really not that hard to change the fluids and charge the battery. If I really wanted it I'd offer to help with the maintenance so I could hear it run, but it would be weird if to deal with someone that wasn't willing to do that stuff before trying to selling a car.

Back