Opinion: TTA or Sy

Tough call. Very different vehicles.
I've owned both at the same time.
Bought a 13K mile TTA in 1991 (owned it for 5 years).
Bought an 8K mile Syclone in 1992 (owned it for 2 years).
Keep in mind my opinion is based on both cars being almost new at the time.
The TTA ran 13.2 in the ¼ mile with a K&N and a dump tube, nothing else.
The Syclone ran 13.8 bone stock.

TTA pros:
Great handling
Excellent braking (1LE brakes)
Reliable engine (LC2)
Lots of performance potential (Like the TR)

TTA cons:
Uncomfortable seats (for me anyway)
Squeaked and rattled (felt cheap)
Hard ride

Syclone pros:
AWD made a full boost launch a snap (fun too)
Smoother ride
Handled good (better than the typical S-10)
The THM 700R4 was the best shifting stock trans I've ever felt
I loved the interior

Syclone cons:
Unreliable!
Under warranty I had to replace the water pump, the front driveshaft, front sway bar bushings, and the torque converter.
Heard horror stories about 4.3 turbo motor failures (mine was fine, sold it with 15K miles)

In a nutshell, I enjoyed driving the Syclone a bit more, even though the TTA was quicker, cornered and stopped better. My biggest concern with the Syclone was the durability of the engine.

Either one is a fun car to drive.

Last thing I'd like to point out:
I still have my 86 T-Type that I bought in 1989.
It's my favorite!!

Oh, hands down my T is the favorite. Bought mine in Jan of '88. It just needs some well deserved TLC before it is ready to roll again. (Going back through the engine, going roller, doing the trans and of course the make-up and cosmetics, too). The problem is, I'm just Jonesing for a hot rod fix that I can scratch right now and these two show up right on cue. That's sorta why I'm thinking about resale value down the road. Because the new toy might go away once the T is back. But the way I am with cars it'll probably end up being my kids that sell them both after I'm gone.

I appreciate your insight and you are right, it's a tough choice, especially since there's a '57 Bel Air and a couple of C3 Vettes that have caught my eye as well, but let's face it, I'm addicted to boost.

I'd get the TTA.
About 10 years ago I found a Syclone for sale. I joined the Sy/Ty forum to learn more about them. It seemed like there were only a few running trucks on the whole forum at that time. I probably still would have bought that Syclone, but the guy was about $5K too high on his price so I passed.

Well the decision has been simplified for me. The day I went to the bank to get my money right to get the TTA, it disappeared from the site. I'm assuming it has been sold. I'm still trying to get in touch with the guy with the Syclone. In the mean time I did check out one of the C3's that caught my eye. It is a pretty nice car and I think priced fairly. I could well be a fall back car if the Syclone falls through. As far as the forums go, they're all about dead now. It seems that Facebook has pretty much killed them all. It's a shame because I don't really fb much and I prefer the more relaxed feel of the forums. I can never find anything twice on fb.:rolleyes::(

Well the decision has been simplified for me. The day I went to the bank to get my money right to get the TTA, it disappeared from the site. I'm assuming it has been sold. I'm still trying to get in touch with the guy with the Syclone. In the mean time I did check out one of the C3's that caught my eye. It is a pretty nice car and I think priced fairly. I could well be a fall back car if the Syclone falls through. As far as the forums go, they're all about dead now. It seems that Facebook has pretty much killed them all. It's a shame because I don't really fb much and I prefer the more relaxed feel of the forums. I can never find anything twice on fb.:rolleyes::(
Times 2 I don't even have a Facebook account, hate to see it heading that direction

Dammmmn that song is dope!

I like them both but the Syclone gets the nod from me. Just so bada$$ and rare. You never see one in the wild or even contained. Plus it’s the right color.

Wrong side of the country, I think SpeedRacerX was referring to the guido's not the mullets, so the cassette in the Iroc-Z was more than likely of Planet Patrol not Van Halen... ;)

May be we never listened to that kind of stuff,I may be too old or in a different part of the country but I will say this no matter what part of the country you were in in the early to mid 80s Van Halen was ten times more popular than that I've never even heard of that song or group

Last edited:
Sleeper , plus you can use it to pick up mulch for around the house once you retire !!

May be we never listened to that kind of stuff,I may be too old or in a different part of the country but I will say this no matter what part of the country you were in in the early to mid 80s Van Halen was ten times more popular than that I've never even heard of that song or group
During the 80’s, We had entire genre of music and sub-culture here in NY that the rest of the country knew mostly nothing about.

Even today some of you listen to music and dress in styles that we may not no anything about either. Walmart? Not here! And hopefully never.

During the 80’s, We had entire genre of music and sub-culture here in NY that the rest of the country knew mostly nothing about.

Even today some of you listen to music and dress in styles that we may not no anything about either. Walmart? Not here! And hopefully never.
Yep I would definitely agree with that totally different worlds in a lot of aspects trust me I don't like the Walmart either I wish you guys would actually take some of them but your politicians up there can't have my guns:ROFLMAO:

But the IROC-Z beats then all.

Finish you ravioli or chicken cutlets, triple check your hair, add more spray, pour on cologne, add another chain, kiss Grandmom goodbye, say seeyalater to Pop, take out the t-tops, wipe off that one piece of dust, check the fitment of the rear window louvers and headlight covers, adjust fuzzy dice, rev that powerful motor, head on out, meet some buddies and cruise for chicks.

Mess with a GN and lose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Damn you gettin ready to Cruise up and down 86st from stillwell ave to 18th ave in 1988. Lol.

Damn you gettin ready to Cruise up and down 86st from stillwell ave to 18th ave in 1988. Lol.

It's still like that in Dyker Heights believe it or not, but as they say in Brooklyn, never shit where you eat... so most of the cruising and racing happens elsewhere. Not to mention Fountain Avenue is long gone in terms of drag racing, and showing off everyone's rides. 86th Street was a great time back in the day...

- Rob