You can type here any text you want

OPINIONS on MAF PIPES

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PaulRV6

Please offer your opinion on which is the best fit / function of MAF pipes?
Either the pre-bent pipe design with straight hose connectors from Kirbans OR the straignt pipe with pre-bent hose connectors from Boosted?
There is a significant difference in price so any opinions to help me make a decision is appreciated.

paul

Never heard of the bent hose/straight pipe from Boosted, do they have a web site? How much is their price? I know for the $60 - $90 that most vendors want for a bent MAF pipe, I'd rather go to a muffler shop and have a 3" pipe bent!

Originally posted by PaulRV6
Please offer your opinion on which is the best fit / function of MAF pipes?
Either the pre-bent pipe design with straight hose connectors from Kirbans OR the straignt pipe with pre-bent hose connectors from Boosted?
There is a significant difference in price so any opinions to help me make a decision is appreciated.
paul

What are your long term plans?.

I ran the prebent one and was happy with that.
But, when I upgraded turbos, yada yada, wound up relocating the MAF when I did the translator, and then I was able to run a 4" MAF pipe (with .5" plenum spacer).

It would have been cheaper doing the 4" the first time around.

Question for those out there is if it is practical to run a 4 inch pipe on a turbo that only has a 3 inch inlet. I have seen so many 10 second cars with 3 inch pipes, so I really do question if the 4 inch has merit. I am asking this as a question for common knowledge and not to flame.

I installed the complete cold air system and straight MAF pipe, the install was pretty straight forward and the straight pipe fits fine. I have no complaints and the performance is incrediable. I went with the aluminium pipe which looks pretty good.

??????????

Any other opinions?
I know there are more than 3 people using a replacement MAF pipe instead of the stock flex hose.
C'mon folks. Thanks

paul

I have a pre-bent unit from Keith Mease coming... IIRC it is made out of aluminum pipe and is powercoated.

I would have done the exhaust shop stop... but I got a great deal from Keith and it comes with the hose and clamps... and should look really nice in that box with my 3" KMDP when they come to my door :)

Does Keith Meise have a website to view these? Are they available for sale? I would like to check those out. Thanks

paul

I bought Kieths Meases mandrel bent aluminum pipe bare for i think 35 bucks with hoses and clamps. Im happy with it and you can polish it or leave it bare aluminum.

I have a chrome 3" bent MAF pipe I bought from Kenne-Bell back in 1988-89. This is one of the first upgrades I did and the best part they sold. The chrome still looks as good as when it was new. Decide on what MAF you will be use for the long run before you order a pipe. Unless you run in the 8 or 9's I see no need for a 4" pipe

I've got the same Kenne-Bell chrome pipe Ed has. :)

Chrome is almost mint and that for a car that's never been in a garage. I bought mine around 1990 too. Good piece.

I've got boosted's kit.I've had it for awhile now and it still looks like the day I got it.I actually think it looks way better in person then on his website,even though he has pretty good pics on the web.Mines chrome by the way.

Install wasn't bad at all.It took a little work to get the elbow behind the headlight,but nothing to tough.I'll put it this way I got the chrome pipe to the meter and the chrome pipe to the elbow and didn't put a scratch in either during install.The chrome is good quality also.Main reason I went with it was I was doing the meter/translator thing and wanted something that looked good,instead of what I was about to do!!Mission accomplished.

I went with a solid MAF pipe from Kirban. I told them NOT to chrome or polish the aluminum. It looks almost the same as the stock turbo shield and uppipe. That is the look I wanted.

I put a "Tin Man" cold air kit at the end of it and the whole setup looks very nice and what's more very stock.

Kirban charged me 35 bucks for the pipe and 10 for some ugly orange hoses to hold it in place.

Solid pipe with translator..

I have the 3" MAF w/translator and was looking into getting the powder black pipe that Kirban sells.. How does the MAF fit into these pipes? Like, what can I use to connect them together..? I am using the Tompka cold-air kit and the MAF isn't attached to anything, just hanging between the two connecting pieces. I don't like this and wanted to get a solid pipe.. will it work with the 3" MAF?

Thanks!
Ken

Back