Opinions on Prolong Engine Treatment

GNONYX

I don't want to start a debate on whether Prolong Engine Treatment is garbage or not, but I have been using Castro GTX High Mileage 20W-50 with one bottle of Prolong Engine Treatment for the pass 90,000 miles.
I know many have been using other type of oil and also used ZDDP, and just recently I switched to Valvoline VR1 20W-50 Racing Conventional Motor Oil since it has some ZDDP.
I'm also considering adding a bottle of Prolong Engine Treatment since personally the engine has ran great for the past 90,000 miles.
Would like to heard other opinions on Prolong Engine Treatment

Last edited:
I cannot attest to that brand specifically but i also use VR1 20-50 and still use a zddp additive in it.

Used rotella t early on , then switched over to VR1 20/50 racing oil in my low ten second build now for 10 yrs . Still on same RJC head gaskets and I drive car all over tri state area :) I run no pvc valve and just two open breathers and change oil every 2,000 miles or if I race it 3 straight times on the street I change it next day .

I have friends that swear by it in their BBC's but never heard of anyone using it in the Lc2 until now

Didn't they do some sort of test with this prolong stuff years ago? Put it in the engine oil and ran the cars to get it lubricated then drained all the oil and drove the cars around with no oil in them.

Didn't they do some sort of test with this prolong stuff years ago? Put it in the engine oil and ran the cars to get it lubricated then drained all the oil and drove the cars around with no oil in them.

If I recall correctly, I think that Slick 50 (PTFE) treatment also did the engine run with no oil after receiving treatment too.

I do remember in that ad one of the cars was a Dodge Viper. This was probably back in 1993 or 1994 ish.

What is/are the reasons people stray from factory recommendation of 5w 30? Dont mean to detract from the topic...

Used rotella t early on , then switched over to VR1 20/50 racing oil in my low ten second build now for 10 yrs . Still on same RJC head gaskets and I drive car all over tri state area :) I run no pvc valve and just two open breathers and change oil every 2,000 miles or if I race it 3 straight times on the street I change it next day .
Holy hell that's a lot! IM on 3k miles full synthetic plus a couple quarts of brad pen . Am I doing it wrong?! Lol

Last edited:
Prolong did the best tests...

but i'd never run it in anything i own. also, i'm not 100% sold on the concept of adding anything to oils which could upset the balance of the various chemicals that are put into the oils when they are blended.

the oils labelled "high mileage" supposedly have zinc. same with that STP high mileage oil treatment. The label mentions it has zinc added. $4 for a bottle when its on sale.

That's interesting if it's true. ESP considering the EPAs whole reasoning for stripping zinc was too keep old high mileage cars from putting zinc on the catalytic converter.

But then again, who ever said what they do makes real world sense?