Opinions on Stock Intercooler Scoop

Weazel

This just in,alky is good
Hey everybody. I took my intercooler out yesterday for some MUCH needed cleaning. After taking the scoop off, I wondered to myself how much air it's actually SCOOPing and how much it's actually PLOWing. I was trying to figure out if the IC would work better with the scoop removed. Have any of you guys run it like this? Any opinions? My major concern was dinging up the fins, they're in GREAT shape after all these years, and I'd hate to mess them up. But getting more air across the fins sounds like it could be a good idea. Thanks for the input as always! :cool:

The way I see it is, the scoop directs air up and into the intercooler shroud. Without it there is nothing to direct air to it. There are some aftermarket intercooler scoops available from some vendors that may direct even more air that you may want to research. Also, if you have not removed the screen that sits between the scoop & shroud, do so know. I've heard that it blocks up to 40% of the airflow going to the intercooler. Good Luck...

Scoop is the way to fly. I dont have a iced car but i can tell you that the scoop is helping for sure. If anything, your not blowing hot air through your radiator into your IC!

Corky bell covers this topic in maximum boost.. it is actually reccomended to make a scoop for any front mount the opening should be roughly (going by memory) half of the frontal core area. This basically forces air through the core, and doesnt allow it to deflect around, making your IC more efficient. I need to put a scoop on my 240z but havent gotten around to it yet.

Evan

Thanks a lot for the quick responses! I will definitely research some of the aftermarket scoops. And Datsunboy, I don't know WHAT I was thinking. Radiator = Hot, hmmm, makes sense ;) I guess the scoop blocks that hot air, and at least puts the "mouth" down low where the cooler air is. I'll definitely leave a scoop of some sort on there now. Thanks again! I'm 99% sure that the screen was already removed, but if not, you can be sure it'll be gone soon!

The best scoop is a $1.49 black office trash can at any department or home improvement store. It looks better than stock and is much bigger. Also, if you screw it up when cutting, your only out $1.49

I'm sorry, but don't mickey mouse your scoop with the trash can approach. Some vendors sell a repro scoop, while Keith Mease sells a trick custom scoop made out of aluminum. I could see the trash can approach if the car is driven a lot and you have a habit of running over curbs, but...

Rich

QuickWE4, I can understand not putting TC scoop on your car since its a low mile specimen, but I'd say 95% of all the people on here who have had to redo their scoop have the trash can mod. If you see someone that has the TC mod you will see that it actually looks better than the flimsy factory scoop.

Black6pack...

No disrespect intended on my prev message.

Yeah, I hear ya on the stock scoop. Looks like crap even on a low miler. I went with the Mease aluminum scoop. If I ever do hit anything with it, it'll be toast but it looks trick.

I have to be honest, I've not seen somebody running the TC scoop, so I can't honestly comment on its appearance....I will say that it is definitely an inexpensive fix.

:)
Rich

I have a stock location stretch and use an upper stock shroud with a piece of galvanized steel "scoop" at the bottom, 6" deep. I bent it to fit around the stock flanges in a "U" shape and drilled it to fit the stock location holes. Since mine is 1.5 stock IC's welded together, it fits and works good so far.

I have the V4, so mine is also metal. Its kinda funky shaped, and actually isn't that big. Once mine gets smashed, I'll probably go with the TC scoop!

The black trashcan scoop actually doesn't look all that bad. I don't have one on my car because I want it to look all stock.

gotta love the TC scoop.. Tho I have never seen one either it sounds wayy trick:).. If I did not find my NOS factory scoop thats the route i would have went..

I know lots of Buick guys around here and if they have a stock location intercooler, they either have the stock scoop or Keith's scoop. I have one of the first aluminum scoops Keith made on my own car. Unfortunately, mine isnt one of the adjustable ones, but it looks super trick and definitely has a larger opening than the stocker.

My '87 GN didn't have the scoop on it, neither did the '86 T that I bought. I think it has something to do with the heat around here and drying up the plastic. Instead of the TC idea, I used an Inner fender splash shield off some honda, Fastest that piece of plastic had ever been!

Does anybody have any details on the trash can deal?
My stocker hangs crooked from being banged up and looks as if the previous monkey zip tied the bottom piece back on, so I thought I don't have anything to lose.

My initial thought is to cut the TC vertically (as it stands) and do some trimming to get a nice fit in place of the bottom piece.
??