Opinions?

samandw

So I was looking at the new Challenger concept and had a thought. When they designed the Challenger they actually took a 1970 Challenger into to design studio, and I think the result is faithful to the original. And IMO far and away the best looking new car in the last 10-15 years.
http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2006-Dodge-Challenger-Concept.htm

But back to my thought:
We all know GM is going to heck in a handbasket cause they don't do any market research. But what if they decided to build a modern rendition of the the GN or GNX? They still have plenty of 3800 Series III motors in the parts bin, and I was told by a GM employee that they had one of those up to 900 hp in a test car. The Cadillac CTS platform with it's RWD configuration would be adaptable. So, if Buick decided (I know they never will) to make a turbo 3800 (maybe twin), RWD, 6-speed AUTO (maybe trans-axle), 2-door that was as faithful to the original GN as the Challenger concept is to the the 1970, you think it would sell?

would be a great idea, but in all likelihood the days of Buick musclecars are gone. In the GM hierarchy chevy and pontiac are supposed to be the performance divisions these days.

Yep, and between the two of them, there's the GTO & the Corvette...and the Goat's headed for the pasture. That leaves an abundance of choices, huh? :rolleyes:

Who cares. GM is out of touch with what the customer wants. If they do touch on something that the consumer wants, it's too little or too late. We should have had the US monaro in 98-99, before the Aussies. They should have put out the HHR dorkmobile before Diamler saturated the market with PT cruisers. There was a niche for that (don't know why) but they missed the boat.

About all the GM overseas variants of what we have here are nicer than what we have.

They've driven the BOP nameplates in the ground. When they do put out concepts that are desireable, the end result turns out milquetoaste and FWD.

I drive down the street everyday and wonder how such LAME designs are approved (or even concieved) for production.

GM is done. Sucks for the GM loyalist.

If you want a fun car now build it.

GM is way out of touch with consumers. Look at the SSR...it looks decent, but is way overpriced and originally did not have the brawn to back up it's looks. GM should have learned from the Ford T-Bird fiasco that you can't price yourself out of niche markets.

I'd love to see a newer Buick GN. Buick will be dead soon enough if something doesn't happen over there. They have nothing that even remotely interests me. If I was in the market for a passenger car, I don't think GM or Ford have anything I would want.....I'd be shopping at Toyota, Honda, or Dodge.....I'd also consider a new Bimmer since mine is getting up there in mileage. Just don't like the Bangled versions quite as much.

I'd like to see a new Buick performance car but, please, no retro styling. I am already tired of retro styling.

There is a saying "You can never go home again". It also holds true for cars.

That's like saying what was good once will never be good again. Tastes change with time, but good is always good. Look at jeans....when I was a kid we made fun of the fact that people in the 70's wore bell bottoms. I never would have guessed they would make a come back 25 years later. This time they call them flared.

I don't think Buick needs to make a dead on retro GN, but I'd like to see the power bulge hood and clean lines on a new car with some serious balls.

Take the new GTO chassis and make a buick front facia and rear tail section, restyle the seats in GN fashion. Drop in a all aluminum ta block and heads and make your own 2006 GNX :biggrin:

BW

I don't think they'll ever be able to make another car as bad ass looking as the GN even if they tried.

ThePhreaker said:
I don't think they'll ever be able to make another car as bad ass looking as the GN even if they tried.

You mean Buick? I agree.

You mean GM? Check out a black C6 Z06... :eek:

Even if they did bring back a GN/GNX for a last hurrah, it wouldnt save the Buick name - they will soon join the rest of the BOP gang within the next 10, if not 5 years :(