Orange/Red Puddle?

84GNwith87eng

My car was sitting for a couple weeks while I was at college, and my dad started it a couple times, but when I came home, it had an orange/red puddle under it, more towards the back of the engine, like closer to the trans.

The car runs fine and shifts well, any idea if this is trans fluid, and where it could be leaking from? It's directly in the middle of the car...(and it's not oil)

Chris

Its tranny fluid. I had the o ring for the dipstick get torn up once, caused a massive leak. But it could be anything, including the pan.

Check the rear seal/output shaft of the transmission at the tail stock area. It's probably the seal that the driveshaft yoke runs on. If it is that, then plan on living with it until you need to rebuild the trans or it gets really bad: it's easier thay way.

Are you serious???!! Its is super easy to replace that seal.

Not to mention he said it was up by the motor, not at the back.

Don't give advice if you have no clue what you're talking about.

Definitely ATF leaking. If it is where the trans and engine join either the front pump seal or the dipstick seal.maybe a cooler line but gut reaction says turbo sam is right.

How much can I expect to pay to fix something like the o-ring seal by the dipstick?

Thanks guys, I'm pretty sure it's coming from where you're saying near the dipstick, it's just such a slow leak to really pinpoint it

Thanks!

BTW, how soon should this be fixed? ie: will it last a couple weeks if leaking moderately bad? Should I not drive it? It only leaks when I leave it sitting for a week or so...

Chris

Fix it yourself, i dont know how long youve had the car but youll learn that with the TR's its easier (and cheaper) to do the work yourself. That way you learn how to do it and you know it was done correctly. Most shops are not completely qualified to work on any cars, let alone these.......

Take it to the carwash and run the wand up under it and clean the effected area. drive it home then get up under it and find where the source of the leak is. At this point it is only a guess. You need to know for sure what is leaking before you take it to someone to repair, if you are not gonna fix it yourself.

Originally posted by 84GNwith87eng
BTW, how soon should this be fixed? ie: will it last a couple weeks if leaking moderately bad? Should I not drive it? It only leaks when I leave it sitting for a week or so...

Chris

As long as you keep checking the fluid level and topping off as needed you should be OK. If it is just the dipstick seal, it's less than 5.00 from GM (I can get you the part # Tues) and not that difficult a repair. If it;s a front seal the trans has to be dropped. Not a bad idea to clean the area first and try to spot the source of the leak (you can do as tc suggested or crawl underneath witha can of brake clean)