Ordered new Morel lifters to replace my CC 853's.

Here is the information straight from the website. I set mine up between 0.044" and 0.055" which was the best I could get using the factory stamped steel rockers. If you do a search on this topic specifically you should find that many like to go to the high side on the preload.
upload_2014-8-10_8-41-47.png

Great info. I think I am on the same track. My lifters are soaking in 5w-30. I have not measured the bores yet. I have been measuring the adj. pushrod with dial calipers instead of using the turn method. I like the idea of setting preload from 040 to 055. That works out better for me I think. I think that will help out with noise. And after research I feel as if that still leaves plenty of room for plunger travel. I should have around 080 to 090 travel left in the lifter plunger. My lifters came from WEBER and they are listed as Morel rollers for turbo Buick V6. The only other set I saw was short travel lifters and I elected not to use these due to my pushrod lengths being various. I still have not ordered push rods yet, due to the fact that I want to discuss with Trend Performance on Monday. Trend is the only vendor I have found that stocks pushrods in 025 increments.

I run my Morels at .050 and its nice and quiet. This is on Champion irons with stock rocker arms and heavy duty shafts. After talking with Steve at Full Throttle he assured me that .050 is perfectly fine, and believes many do not run enough preload on these lifters (Comp or Morel)....I would have to agree.

Full Throttle uses Trend pushrods since they are local to them and can get the sizes you need.

Great info. I think I am on the same track. My lifters are soaking in 5w-30. I have not measured the bores yet. I have been measuring the adj. pushrod with dial calipers instead of using the turn method. I like the idea of setting preload from 040 to 055. That works out better for me I think. I think that will help out with noise. And after research I feel as if that still leaves plenty of room for plunger travel. I should have around 080 to 090 travel left in the lifter plunger. My lifters came from WEBER and they are listed as Morel rollers for turbo Buick V6. The only other set I saw was short travel lifters and I elected not to use these due to my pushrod lengths being various. I still have not ordered push rods yet, due to the fact that I want to discuss with Trend Performance on Monday. Trend is the only vendor I have found that stocks pushrods in 025 increments.

Yeah, there is more than one way to get the lifter preload setup. In my case I probably go the long way around but I use a light weight checking spring instead of the valve spring and put a dial indicator on the spring retainer. I then lengthen the adjustable pushrod until the dial indicator just begins to move and lockdown the pushrod at the height just before movement. This gives me the pushrod length for 0 lash. After that I check pushrod length for a bottomed out lifter by using the spring I intend to use and a lifter that hasn't been soaking in oil. With the dial indicator on the valve spring retainer as before I lengthen the adjustable pushrod in the same manner when checking for 0 lash length to find the bottom. After that it is a simple calculation to get my length where it needs to be so I can run a non adjustable valvetrain or an adjustable valve train with the adjuster in the right position. Long ago when I first started messing with adjustable rockers a tech at Jesel told me to aim for 1 turn +/- 1/2 turns out from bottom on the rocker so it has been a target for me since.

It's also a good idea to find two sockets that fit the lifters... On that will clear the roller but still sit firmly on the body, and one to depress the plunger. Wrap a rag around the lifter body and squish it with a vice.

They seem to assembled with some pretty thick jizz and it helps to go ahead and squirt that stuff out.

I like the idea of 050 preload. I may have jumped to conclusion an did not run enough preload with the 853 CC's. I ran anywhere from 019 to 035. I was always worried running out of plunger travel . I now feel more confident in more preload.

Got everything back together and cranked it up. Engine runs extremely smooth with no lifters tapping. I am amazed. The engine does have the roller sound like a quiet sewing machine. My chevy truck sounds the same way. Preload is set anywhere at 37 to 62. I used three pushrod lengths from 8.025 8.050 and 8.075. If I average out the preload it is around 48. If I were to do this all over again and or if I had noisy lifters I would do the following things first:
-Soak the lifters for at least a week.
-Be exact on base circle when checking pre load. No Guessing
-Know the plunger travel in the lifter
-Use a pushrod length checking tool and use MIC or Digital Caliper to measure with.
-Order pushrods to the closest dimension you can get to achieve approximately.050 preload.
-If you order a roller kit do not get the pushrods unless you have heads and rockers that you know that you can set the preload with (Stock, not milled, no rework done, etc.). My pushrods that came in my roller kit would not let me get the correct preload with my CC 853's. Not the vendors fault. It was my reworked PP heads.
-Get Morel lifters.
These are the things that worked for me.
Oh yea. I used Morel lifters from WEBER and ordered my pushrods from TREND at a great price.

That's quite a variance of push rod lengths. Shouldn't they all be about the same?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

in retrospect, how much do you thing the tie-bar looseness contributed to the noise?

Bob

When I did lifters on my Dodge-abishi (Stealth RT/TT) the current tribal wisdom was to soak the lifters in Marvel Mystery Oil, and poke a small pick into the holes to encourage the trapped air to escape.

I have also heard of soaking in diesel fuel or other lightweight oil.

I'm running T&D's on Champion aluminums, (853 lifters) and its pretty clattery. I think the preload is around .035. I'm going to try .050 or so before I toss the Comps, since I think that might help some.

Bob

That's quite a variance of push rod lengths. Shouldn't they all be about the same?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Depends on your heads bet if you lay a straight edge across your valves even with untouched heads you will see variance.
It's a bit of extra work to set up our heads with all the valves the same height relative to the rocker pedestal.
A buddy of mine had to take his heads back to the machiest and have the valves reworked. They had made all the tips the same height but had measured from the spring pocket so when you layed the straight edge across the tips it was up and down hard to get consistent preload with them set up like that.
I think that's why these lifters were designed with so much travel.

The only way I've found to truly bleed hydraulic tappets to to put them in a vice and squish the thick build jizz out. One good round and they're freed up and ready to work with motor oil.