Original Paint Problems

03FatBoy

I have an 87 with the typical checked and cracked paint on the upper surfaces. Overall, the car is just "ok" paint, but the hood is the worst part. Is it worth attempting to wet sand and buff the hood somewhat? I realize it is too far gone to revive, but I don't plan to paint the car for a while.
Any thoughts, or just leave it alone?

I may bewrong but I don't think wet sanding will help much with the checking...might even make it worse...my GN only has 41K miles...hood has a some checking...so what I did was first buff it out...then I bought some black Zymol wax...it actually fills in most of the checking...now when you look at it...looks just like a little dust is on it...

Orig paint problems

MSDGN -

Where did you find Zymol black wax? One panel on my original paint '87 could use it. I found regular Zymol for 'clear coats' at the auto parts store - but not for our cars. The Zymol website has a small jar of the black wax listed for $61.00 !!!

Turtle wax has a black wax/polish for $9.99 which I may try.

I had some older Turtle wax in black... it helped, but I would like to try the Zymol as well.

MSDGN -

Where did you find Zymol black wax? One panel on my original paint '87 could use it. I found regular Zymol for 'clear coats' at the auto parts store - but not for our cars. The Zymol website has a small jar of the black wax listed for $61.00 !!!

Turtle wax has a black wax/polish for $9.99 which I may try.

Yep...that's the stuff...but it wasn't that much when I bought it a few years ago...think I paid $40...which is ridiculous but worth it to me..I like Zymol...have had good results with it...the shine I get on my GN with that stuff is inbelievable...looks like glass...I have to keep the wax in the refrigerator per instructions...they even give you a glove to use with the wax...it must have some type of dye in the wax...if you get it on your hands...it ain't coming off...I guess any black wax would work OK...here's a pic of my GN...original factory paint...

Attachments

• GN1.jpg
    GN1.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 178