You can type here any text you want

Out in Dads Limited Friday Night

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

8UWITH6

Keepin' The Shiny Side Up
Okay, before I start the story, let it be known that I did lose.....but listen up anyway!!!!;)

So Im leaving a friends house in my dads new 87 Limited T. (PT51, 009s, Big Neck Stock IC, Cam, 2800 stall converter). Note: the car is on pump gas, street chip and 15psi. So, Im coming up on a traffic light about 1230am and I see a yellow 99-00ish body style Mustang (they all look the same). I pull up to the light just as it turns, and I give the Limited about 1/4th throttle next to the Stang and chirp 2nd gear. As Im passing the Stang he lays into it hard and flys by me........okay, he does want to play! Alright! Time to see what dads new Limited will do! So I pace him at almost 70mph (hes probably cruising at 60 in a 45). I finally catch him a ways up and we end up neck and neck at about 60mph. I didnt want to do a 60 punch so I tapped the brakes a few times to see if he would slow down with me......he did. So here we are rolling about 35 or 40mph.....I nod, he nods. I start the honks, 1, 2 (stabbed the throttle because the car has some lag), 3!!! He yanks me 1/2 car from the start........3rd gear engages and the Limited is moving pretty good.......but this Mustang isnt falling back or pulling away!?!? I stay at his door handle to Id say 115 or so and I let off. Im thinking to myself, man, that car must be heavily modded to run that quick. So we get up to the next stoplight and I pull beside him. Heres the conversation:

Me: Is that thing modded?
Him: Nope, its stock.
Me: (As I look down at the front fender badge) Oh, Cobra huh? Wait a minute!? Is that an 03 Cobra?
Him: Yeah, it is.....its pretty fast, but obviously not that fast since your Buick kept up with me! I gotta start modding this thing!
Me: Yeah, this is my moms car. (Had to say it just to mess with him, even though my mom DOES drive the car everyday).
Him: No kidding, well thats cool man, stay safe.
Me: You too.

The old Limited in street trim kept up with an 03 Cobra, and he was a decent driver too, banged the gears pretty good from what I could hear. So whaddya guys think? I was certainly a little impressed! Maybe next time Ill catch him in the "other street trim"? Heh heh

Originally posted by 8UWITH6
Okay, before I start the story, let it be known that I did lose.....but listen up anyway!!!!;)

Not the best way to start a thread;) You should've run him from a stop, probably would've got him if you hooked. All in all, nice job keepin up w/ a cobra on the top end.

Yeah when ever I start talking after I run somebody in the 86 I tell them its my moms lol. We call it hers because that was a good way for her to let my dad buy it, she does drive it occasionally. Good run man, the 03s are quick, but that limited sounds pretty strong, with a little fine tuning you could probably inch him out. He sounded like a pretty cool guy, most of the mustangs I've run are pretty cool and respect our cars a lot.

i've yet to encounter one of these 03 cobras...probably because it's winter and nobody in their right mind would drive one up here in the snow and salt...my time shall come in the spring...luckily i will be running in street trim NO MORE...it's all race mode from here...have a dual nozzle alky kit on the way along with 25 psi:D

Dads Limited is in great tune.....what do you expect on a street chip, street tires, and 92 octane gas? I dont expect much. Thats why I did the roll, plus the car has a decent amount of lag. Ive talked my dad into trying another chip that isnt so fat down low, so maybe itll spool a tad quicker. Thanks for the replys......

Great story. Nice to hear these Cobra's aren't perfect. I work with alot of die hard Ford guys who think they're unbeatable. I've only seen one 03 and I was in my Bonneville.

that combo in street trim should be good from anywhere from 108-111 mph in the quarter. i ran 12.2@111 with a similiar combo a few years back in street rim. race trim you wouldve won for sure!

The 03 Cobras get spanked down here on a regular basis. On the street and definitely at the track. I have seen a lot of pissed off faces. The 03 Cobras are fast though, ,I'll give'em that. :)

Back