Over whelmed with Grand Prix

Gail R

I have a 2004 Grand Prix Gtp. Spun bearing on #1 rod. Car says series 3, block says series 2. Rods are suppose to be forged, nope mine are cast. I need crank, rod bearings, main bearings, an 1 connecting rod. Where should i get this stuff or can i even get it anymore. Keep in mind please, very tight budget. Only had car two months when this happened and im still making paynents. No i didnt rod it to death. It is a daily driver.
Also supposedly it has 2170 crank. Are all 2170s the same or are they different for SC.
In looking to find a good rod what should i look up. Its obviously not a rod for an 04 l32 because they all show forged.
This has the 7 rib SC which supposefly only fits l32 intake. Wont fit l67 intake with out adapter. I have no adapter. So when looking at gaskets, its will say for 2nd gen with intake lineup studs. Are all l32 intakes made with line up studs.
If i order headgasket set for o4 with line studs will it still work if i dont have the studs, as thats the only option they give for 04.
Sorry for so many questions, im just lost an no one here knows v6s. Its all v8s.

You know this a GN forum? Are motors aren't like yours . Your motor is a series 2 which is different from are LC2s . what size is your rod? Big end ? Pin ?

You know this a GN forum? Are motors aren't like yours . Your motor is a series 2 which is different from are LC2s . what size is your rod? Big end ? Pin ?
Sorry thought i would try. I was told its a pontiac v6 but was actually a buick v6. Rods wont be out till tomorrow.

The Series II shares some dimensions with the LC2, but not much else. The supercharged models had better rods, dished pistons, and a better crank than the NA models. The heads are also drilled differently for the supercharger equipped intake.

The stock rods would have been powdered metal with a cast steel crank.

Rebuilding one of these isn't any more or less difficult than rebuilding any other engine. But few hobbyists do it, so the information you need to set it up properly isn't widely available. You'll need to use the dealer or find somebody that knows the engine and has access to the GM documentation on it.

But if you're strapped for cash, you'd be wise to start shopping local junkyards for a running takeout from a wrecked unit. Swap it in and go.

And never borrow money on a 13 year old car again.

The Series II shares some dimensions with the LC2, but not much else. The supercharged models had better rods, dished pistons, and a better crank than the NA models. The heads are also drilled differently for the supercharger equipped intake.

The stock rods would have been powdered metal with a cast steel crank.

Rebuilding one of these isn't any more or less difficult than rebuilding any other engine. But few hobbyists do it, so the information you need to set it up properly isn't widely available. You'll need to use the dealer or find somebody that knows the engine and has access to the GM documentation on it.

But if you're strapped for cash, you'd be wise to start shopping local junkyards for a running takeout from a wrecked unit. Swap it in and go.

And never borrow money on a 13 year old car again.
Thank you. Wrecking yards have 1 but almost 200000 miles. And for a payment i could afford a 13 yr old car was my option.

Thank you. Wrecking yards have 1 but almost 200000 miles. And for a payment i could afford a 13 yr old car was my option.

If it runs, it'll be good enough. Get the take out, pop the pan and swap the rod and main bearings for new ones (replace the rod and main cap bolts), put it back together and go. Just treat it real nice and keep the oil fresh. Probably change it every 500-1000 miles for a few intervals to wash out the crud.

Sorry thought i would try. I was told its a pontiac v6 but was actually a buick v6. Rods wont be out till tomorrow.
Your V6 IS a Buick designed and built engine, its a newer generation of our LC2 design, much more refined than the LC2/3.8/231
Pontiac never produced a V6 to my knowledge.
Have you tried the "supercharged forum"?

Your V6 IS a Buick designed and built engine, its a newer generation of our LC2 design, much more refined than the LC2/3.8/231
Pontiac never produced a V6 to my knowledge.
Have you tried the "supercharged forum"?
I don't know if you're only referring to the Grand Prix, but Pontiac did indeed build V6's. I have the LY7 3.6L in my 2008 Pontiac Torrent. Nice motor, 264 hp in a smallish SUV is a real sleeper...but being transverse-mounted, it's a royal PITA to work on.