You can type here any text you want

Oversize Throttle Bodies???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
At what point are larger throttle bodies needed and what kind of gain can be expected? I am still running a stock untouched 58 mm (I think) and can't complain. :D Just curious at what level you will start to see a performance gain. I've read of many "butt dyno" results. More than likely that is just hearing more air = more power, if you know what I mean. Does anyone have real results?

Good question. I have a FMIC with 3" pipes and have wondered how much the step down reducer effects air flow.

I think Grumpy was in the 9s with a stock one, not for sure.

Larger throttle body

I bought a 65mm throttle body for my 11:50 GN and did not gain anything.I think Red Armstrong still runs a stock one on his 9 sec.GN and on Janes low 10 sec. Limited.

Doug,

Duttweiler did some dyno work on this subject about 10 years ago.
The results were posted in Turbo Magazine.
Also they were used in Kenne Bell Marketing for a couple years.
My magazines are in storage so I can not get you the specifics.
The TB made a substantial difference on the motor they tested.

I was told my money could be spent better elsewhere and for street the gain is minimal for the money. although, my 01 Vette sounded like a turbo car with the BBK when it was barely open ;)

Thanks guys.

John I remember Kenne Bell did an article in Car Craft and they said that they picked up some horsepower. Just can remember how much. That was on his 70mm TB and Plenum if I remember right. If I remember that was a 11-12 sec 1986 GN.

Money is tight (I know every bodies is :D ) and I don't want to spend the money on something that is not going to produce results. I think I am finally getting to the times where it would beneficial. The other John :D picked up a tenth and I am in the same ET area. I would be happy with that. :D If the Transmission doesn't kill the budget I may have Steve bore mine out to a 62mm.

Back