Oversizing K1 6" rod pin bores to Buick pins

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

Has anyone oversized a set of the 6.0in K1 rods to the Buick 0.940in pin over the SBC 0.927in pin?

I think I'm going to make up for my nasty 0.031in in the hole custom pistons with the 0.040in longer rods. This will take me from 7.97:1 compression to more around where I want at 8.22:1 and I don't think I have a worry about piston to head or piston to valve contact on my Diamond's with a 0.039in felpro gasket.

Thanks,

Howdy,

Has anyone oversized a set of the 6.0in K1 rods to the Buick 0.940in pin over the SBC 0.927in pin?

I think I'm going to make up for my nasty 0.031in in the hole custom pistons with the 0.040in longer rods. This will take me from 7.97:1 compression to more around where I want at 8.22:1 and I don't think I have a worry about piston to head or piston to valve contact on my Diamond's with a 0.039in felpro gasket.

Thanks,
I'm not sure how this will work out, but back when I was into mustangs I did a long rod motor. I used a stock 302 crank, chevrolet 400 rods. I ran a kieth black piston which pushed the wrist pin up into the lower oil control rings. It was a running little son of a gun. I was always impressed with that motor. I had a little solid flat tappet cam, and a rpm intake. With a small shot of N2O it ran low 12's all day and not alot of money in it. Best little 302 id ever seen. Best of luck to you, I'll be interested to see how it works out. J

Well this isn't a case of trying to get a better rod ratio or other little things. I paid $750 for custom pistons that I screwed up by ordering them with too little compression height. This means I don't have enough compression and my quench is horrible.

Well this isn't a case of trying to get a better rod ratio or other little things. I paid $750 for custom pistons that I screwed up by ordering them with too little compression height. This means I don't have enough compression and my quench is horrible.

Sorry I didn't know why you were doing it. Next time say what you are after and then I wouldn't have chimed in.

Sorry to sound like I ragged on you. I thought I included enough to make that clear. I guess this isn't limited to just the K1 rods but any of the 6.0in long, narrow bearing, off-center, rods with SBC pins.

Sorry to sound like I ragged on you. I thought I included enough to make that clear. I guess this isn't limited to just the K1 rods but any of the 6.0in long, narrow bearing, off-center, rods with SBC pins.

Its no biggie, I was in a bad mood last night and probably took it wrong. Although the better rod ratio is going to make a difference. Jason

Tom from K1 rods posts here every now and then, I think his screen name is K1Tom. Send him an email directly, I'm sure he would be glad to talk about any possible problems with boring the pin hole oversize.

We are only talking about .013". I would think that any quality machine shop should be able to hone one out to that dimension. If the bushing becomes too thin, then it (the rod small end) could be honed larger and install a custom bushing. Shouldn't be too difficult. Talk with K1 and see if they can set you up.