Painting fillers

nickygn23

Quick question guys. What did you guys pay to have your front bumper fillers painted? Just curious. I'm in NY. I'm going to do the fronts and back and both bumpers but just curious about the front fillers. Thanks

Attachments

• great pic.jpg
    great pic.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 19
I went with the Spoolfool front and rear fillers and did not paint them. The black gelcoat is nearly a perfect match to the car. In certain lighting conditions or angles of the sun the slight mis-match between the gelcoat and black paint is noticeable, but I really have to look hard.

Not having to paint them was a selling point for me, plus the quality is superb.

I had my DANKO fillers front and back painted and installed by Delevan Auto Body in Belleville N.J. there not far from you.The owners name is Joe Romano my engine builder has this shop do all his Grand Nationals paint and body work I was extremely satisfied.

It cost $100 but that was in 2014 which would be 131 today according to the inflation calculator
and the government's fuzzy math.

I had $150 in materials to paint my fillers from G-Body . They are flexible like the originals so a flex agent has to be added to the paint , plus adhesion promoter . None of it is cheap and you can't buy small quantities like a pint or less . The main thing you have going for you is they are black , mine are silver /gray .

R&E Paint Supply used to be a good source to buy paint online and will ship smaller quantities. I did my own fillers at home - the originals finally dry rotted and fell apart. I bought a can of black base coat and a can of 2K urethane clear. I prepped them first, sanding and priming until I got them as smooth as possible. Set up a small spray booth in my garage with visqueen and a small fan blowing outside. They came out great. You need paint experience to get decent results and mine look good. It is time consuming and prep is everything. Just don't paint in cold weather and don't run them, nice even coats every 15 minutes for 3 coats - you can cover anything you missed on the next coat, always keep that in mind.

I had my DANKO fillers front and back painted and installed by Delevan Auto Body in Belleville N.J. there not far from you.The owners name is Joe Romano my engine builder has this shop do all his Grand Nationals paint and body work I was extremely satisfied.
Chris, I checked on Delevan Auto Body in Belleville N.J. Its says temporally closed for business

I'm more of a mechanic than a painter. I wouldn't dare try to do that myself.

Thanks eblum I was thinking of Spoolfool . I little pricey though. My fillers are not originals so they are still in good shape, the the paint is delaminating in the exact same spot on both sides. Weird

Thanks eblum I was thinking of Spoolfool . I little pricey though. My fillers are not originals so they are still in good shape, the the paint is delaminating in the exact same spot on both sides. Weird
They were probably painted without a flex agent added to the paint .

I had my GN completely stripped and repainted back in 2009. I bought new aftermarket urethane fillers front and back. The shop did a fantastic job on the car. But fast forward to 2020 and fillers are warping and distorting. The paint is still adhering but cracks are starting to appear. I’m going to replace them with Spoolfools fillers in the near future.

Chris, I checked on Delevan Auto Body in Belleville N.J. Its says temporally closed for
Chris, I checked on Delevan Auto Body in Belleville N.J. Its says temporally closed for business
Nicky you’re right after reading what you said I called my guy and he said there was a fire in the middle of the night there rebuilding.Call Ultimate Auto Body in Nutley N.J. and speak with Tony tell him Tom Rossi (The Cop) told you to call him.This is the other place he uses.

Thanks John. I'll check them out. I'm pretty sure mine are not original. Just need a repaint because of some weird delamination. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

I'm in Connecticut I had my new OEM ones painted maybe 12 years ago.
They were painted inside also still great condition.
the painter is in RI and painted my car in 2002
I could check on a price to redo yours if you like.

Thanks Conn. I appreciate it but I just made arrangements to have them done by a local guy. Thanks for all the info gentlemen.

I used Goodmark fillers on the back of my car.
They are just like the OE parts (2 piece).
They required the slightest bit of work to get them to fit perfectly.
I'm very happy with them.