You can type here any text you want

painting the gas tank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

oc192

Over this coming weekend I will be dropping the fuel tank and replacing the full pump. While the tank is out I wanted to spruce it up a bit. Will it be safe to do some light sanding and painting without blowing myself up?:) Is there a paint that is recommended for this type of application? How about just using an undercoating instead? Any tips/precautions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

There is a thin zinc coating on the tank that will be damaged with a rough sandpaper. Suggest you use a fine steel wool and you may find the zinc shines enough to forgo painting.

I used Steel wool then dusted it off, hit it up with engine enamel(sliver)

I should have used black but it came out good, looks great(few years after)

I used a Scotch Brite pad on mine. Eastwood sells fuel tank paint in a can and I heard it was good stuff. You have to order it online though. Nobody carries it locally. Did you look at my tank when you dropped by? I undercoated it. I like how it came out. Nice and stealth. It's kind of soft though. We'll see how it holds up in the long run.

Oh, and if you plan on using a wire brush on any part, get a brass one to avoid sparks.

Thanks for the tips. I think I will look into getting black engine enamel and using steel wool to prep it. Mike, the undercoating on your gas tank looked really sharp so it's a toss up between the undercoating and enamel but leaning towards the enamel. RegalT has me somewhat convinced after hearing his has held up for a few years.

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask in this one. I have the racetronix harness and walbro pump. The harness has 2 connectors on the end, one goes to the sending unit, is the other one used at all? Is it for a double pump configuration? Also I have a digital dash and the fuel gauge doesn't work, it always reads anywhere between 14 and F even if I am on fumes. What should I look for when I pull out the sending unit?

Back