Parking Lights and Interior Lights ON Constantly..?

sullen

Senior Daydreamer
I don't know where to begin, any advice would be appreciated.

I just did a big project on my 86.
Before this all the lights worked as they should...

Things that were done to the car include:
Uninstalled FAST ecu
Installed stock ecu/powerlogger
Installed Alky control
Swapped injectors

I did a bunch of other little things and maintenance type things, but nothing else involving wiring.

The Parking lights and interior lights, even the gauges stay lit with the car on or off, key on/off in/out of ignition, they stay on constantly.

Any ideas?

okay, small update, the top dome/maplight is not on.
the dash lights, console light (shifter plate), lights to the aftermarket gauges, factory gauge lights all on.
on the outside of the car, the side marker lights and tail lights remain on.

im going to tear it apart and troubleshoot it tomorrow, but any advice/ideas would be appreciated. :confused::confused:

I dont know how the powerlogger is wired, or the alky setup. But i would disconnect each one one at a time. It sounds like there is a wire, maybe used for lighting, thats in the wrong circuit and backfeeding the park lights circuit. Once you unplug a devuce and the park lights go out, troubleshoot what was miswired. The reason the gauges etc are lit is theyre on the same circuit as the parking lights. Your text threw my, you said interior lights and i thought dome lights. Two seperate circuits. Park and instrument illumination are the same circuit.

Btw. Fast install/uninstall and injector swap are not really wiring invasive so i doubt either of those are causing your issue.

Start with fuse block, pull one at a time, see if you tapped into multiable or single sources.

What wire do you tapped into(colors,location ) for power and ground?

thanx for the responses

well i tapped into nothing that wasnt already tapped.

the only connections required for the alky system, that arent connections within it's own wiring, is power/ground/map sensor.

the map sensor got tapped into the same wire the fast was using for it's map connection.. nothing was done any different.
power i put into an empty ign terminal on the fuse block, and the ground to that screw about the hood release handle.

powerlogger plugs into the ecm like a chip, so no wiring there, and the stock ecm is all (obviously) plug n play.

and that's it... touched nothing else involving wiring.

the only other things i did coming close to wiring:

1:
i had to re-route the intake piping to get the maf in, but everything bascially went back together as it was..
the reason i mention this is it has a "cold air" type system that extends through the headlight area, putting the air filter down by the lower fender.
there was a (rubber) 90* pipe going through the header panel/headlight area that was close to some wires, that had to come out then back in and some wires in that area got moved around....

2:
all the wiring i took out and brought in went through the passengers side firewall behind the glovebox. possibly knocked into something there while pulling wires in/out.

3:
had to bring 3 wires from the passengers side under glovebox area to the drivers side under steering wheel area, snaked them behind the radio area.

Did you tap into that 2 wire plug behind the radio? Going from memory the older GM's had a orange and a black or maybe gray in a two wire plug behind the radio. One wire was memory and the other illumination. Maybe you tied the a ground into one of those wires, which wasnt in fact a ground, but the illumination wires that LOOKED like ground as the lights were off? I'd try pulling the power fuses for each and see if the park lights go out.

When my dad bought his 86 he had a simalar problem but was only when the key was on, you could tell the previous owner was trying to chase the problem down he had wiring apart everywhere.
Ended up being the fuse, instead of in the correct spot on the fuse block ,it was jumped over using one brass terminal of one circuit to another brass termial circuit next to it. Just make sure all fuses in correct location