parking lights come one when brake pressed...wtf?! help please...

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
I've just finished adding SS front brake lines. The rear nut stripped so I need to take it somewher eot be cut off and redone. I also have not bled the brakes.

Here's the problem:

I have no pedal ( I assume it need bleeding). But also, everytime I press the pedal the engine surges and the parking lights on the front of the car come on. :confused:

All I have done is the brkae lines and I did swap to Vacuum over Powermaster.

Anybody have an idea as to why this is happening?

I don't know anything about wiring and avoid touching stuff i don't know about. PLEASE ADVISE...

An incorrect bulb or shorted double circuit bulb can cause that problem.

It's doubtful it has anything to do with the brake line conversion.

Could both the brake and parking lights use the same ground spot? If so and that spot was a bad ground then you might get the parking lights to come on while the brake lights are trying to find ground through the park lights.

I'll check and see if I can find the respective grounds. With all those wires it could take months :(

Thanks for the idea...

Check to see if any ground wires are off. A missing ground in the wires for lights do crazy things. It happened to me on a camaro I had just bought, hit the brakes and the parking lights lit up. The guy before me replaced the headlight switch, he never reconected the ground strap for the switch. The switch mount is plastic so it was never grounded, I ran a ground wire to the switch and cured the problem.

Thanks for the input I'll start tracing all of my grounds to see if I can find something loose or disconnected...

I have checked all of the grounds that I can find. All of the bulbs seem to check out. The problem is on the drivers side.

First: I would put the left turn signal and the blinker would blink fast (indicating that the flasher was bad).

I replaced the one under the steering column and will be replacing the one on the fuse panel.

Current problem: put right turn signal everything is ok. Put left turn signal and I get the rear to flash weakly but it's both sides!! The front upper driver's side marker looked as if it was burned out but it is working but you can barely see it light up with the bulb exposed. However, if I turn on the parking lights or headlights then everything lights up like it's supposed to.

Also, the parking light still come on when the brakes are depressed.

What's going on??? Anybody have a schematic? I looked through my manuals and don't have a complete one...

I swapped the second flasher so now I have two (2) new ones. Still have the same problem. What else can I do?? Anyone have any ideas??

The easiest next test I would do would be to take the 4 double bulbs out of the back tail light assemblies and see if the brake switch still lights up the parking lamps.

What would be the diagnosis:

If depressing the brake still lights up the front??

or

If the depressing the brake does not light up the front?
(would I need to just change the bulbs for this scenario??)

Please advise..

Hey Salvage 6:

I must have not read properly because I located the problem... :eek:

I had checked the rear bulbs before and all of them were in working condition. However, upon closer inspection I noticed that two of the bulbs in the driver side rear panel were single filament as opposed to dual filament. I swapped the bulbs for dual filaments and lo and behold!! everything worked perfectly!!! (all of this for 2 stupid bulbs!!)

Thanks for all of the help everyone...

Post #3 rules. :p

To answer your question the test was just to get you to actually look at the bulbs. :D