Passenger Side Fender Removal

jpratt

How do I remove the drivers side fender to replace the main wire harness going to the computer? I have an 85 that we are swapping in a LC2. What all has to be removed to run the wire harness into the passenger floor board area?

The fender its self doesn't have to be removed. You need to remove all the bolts holding the plastic inner fender and allow it to drop down to gain access to where the harness enters the fire wall. The bolts are a pain in the butt. The hardest part is getting a wrench around the lowest 1 or 2 bolts closest to the fire wall. I don't remember exactly how I did those. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Steve

I'm working on mine now doing a rustomod. It'll be a while but I'll see aout tking pics and post them when I get to that point. This is a pain but not very hard.

Doing a swap here too, and I couldn't get to those dadgum bolts for the life of me. I ended up taking the fender off completely. Made it a lot easier to get to the exhaust manifold & trans housing too.

If only I can remember how to put it back on... LOL :wink:

I did not remove anything to get my harness through. I used a dremmel to cut off the small screws holding the rubber grommet in place on the inside of the car. Using WD40 and some elbow grease I was able to work the grommet lose. Then I attached a straightened out coat hanger to it to use as a fish to guide the new one through. Again, WD40 where the grommet passes between the inner finder and AC box under the hood. I was amazed at how easy it actually went. Once the grommet is fitted back in the hole there is no need for those screws that were cut off. I used black sealer to seal the holes and around the grommet just to be sure.

Great tip!

Hesermon, that's a great tip. I'll have to try that next time (and there will be a next time, I'm sure!).