You can type here any text you want

PCV valve install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimG

Hi,
This is another installment of "how do you?" Sorry.
I have searched and found many pages of info on how and why to discontinue the use of the PCV by way of vac pumps and relocation etc, but little info on siimply getting both the grommet and the valve to install in the floor of the intake manifold.
The grommet goes in easily enough, but the hole in it is undersized for the pcv,so I have not found a way to install it.
There must be a trick or technique that I haven't discovered.
Anyone wish to share?
Thanks
Jim

I just use a set of long nose pliers and a little oil on the nipple of the PCV to help it slide into the grommet.

Just smear a little oil or grease on the valve and the grommet and it pops right in.

Thanks for that, guys.
I have tried both of those methods. The grommet slips in with little drama, but the valve is another story.
I am wondering if I may have the wrong one, as it seems the end that goes into the grommet is oversized.
I may get another just to confirm.
I appreciate all of your help
Jim

I assume you're trying to do this in the car with everything installed?

After you lube up the grommet end of the PCV valve...

What I did was use a 3/8" drive deep well socket...I forgot what size but one just big enough to slide over the PCV nipple and rest on the body of the valve. Stick a 6" extension into the socket and push real hard. Might have to tap on it a little but not too hard, the metal is kinda soft.

I assume you're trying to do this in the car with everything installed?

After you lube up the grommet end of the PCV valve...

What I did was use a 3/8" drive deep well socket...I forgot what size but one just big enough to slide over the PCV nipple and rest on the body of the valve. Stick a 6" extension into the socket and push real hard. Might have to tap on it a little but not too hard, the metal is kinda soft.

No, the manifold is on the bench and i am trying this from the bottom side of the manifold as access from the upper side seems difficult. Have tried to push the whole unit (valve and grommet) through from the bottom, but once it get close, the valve just pushes all the way through.
Will continue with the efforts.
thanks

Sounds like you might have the wrong grommet? Usually the grommet is harder than the PCV when doing the install. At least for me?

Sounds like you might have the wrong grommet? Usually the grommet is harder than the PCV when doing the install. At least for me?

David,
Its a Kirbans unit, so i hope its the right one. I cant recall where i got the valve from, but i think i am going to pop by the local dealer here and get another to ensure that it is correct.
thanks
Jim

I recall reading that they no longer make PCV valves in the exact size as was originally on these cars, and you will normally have a tough time trying to get the valve into the grommet.

I recall reading that they no longer make PCV valves in the exact size as was originally on these cars, and you will normally have a tough time trying to get the valve into the grommet.

thats correct-------the original grommet the GM installed in the engine hasn't been available for nearly 20 years----------the replacement from GM is too small and so is everyone elses---------if you have an original check the part number molded into it and compare it with the "new" GM one you now have----------i am looking into having a correct size one made............RC

A friend of mine has a round drill bit, round like a baseball. I don't know what they are used for but it drilled out the hole in the grommet just right, on his drill press. PCV valve slipped right in. Go to a hardware store and see if they have these drill bits. It is gold in color.

but the rubber cromet in water and bring it to a boil then install it, the rubber will be soft, wear gloves.

Chuck

Chuck, GNRick, and Mr Clark

Thanks to all of you for your insight. I had read about the boiling water idea and it was next up if the valve was the correct one. Opening it up with a drill is a good idea as well.
I am away at this time,but will report back during the week with any progress updates.
All the best!
Jim

Back